1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doubts about quiting

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rusmus, Apr 27, 2011.

1. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Firstly - well done for sticking it out this far. You have done 4 months and have only 2 months to go![​IMG]
    Secondly, check whether you are going to be assessed or not as this may make a big difference to whether you decide to leave or not. If you were to be assessed, there would be no point in leaving now, as you've come so far and put in so much effort. Once you know the score, then you can make an informed decision.
    I know you've probably had lots of people say the same things and it does get a bit wearing after a while, but I can totally sympathise. I am on my second placement of my PGCE and I have been sworn at nearly every lesson by one child or another. The behaviour here is not what I ever wanted to experience but I am learning to deal with it in 2 ways: I apply the school's behaviour policy to the letter and I ignore what I hear. I try not to let it affect me personally. Just think what you are learning to deal with - and how some people would never be able to do it, it's amazing really. It is also hard work, soul destroying and frustrating to the nth degree so again, well done you for sticking with it. I am counting the days until I leave and have been thoroughly miserable on many occasions but I want my PGCE and I want to teach - just not here!
    As for the work, you sound very conscientious and as if you sailed through your PGCE year - hold on to that. I have worked in industry for 12 years prior to my PGCE and reliability and conscientiousness are qualities most employers really treasure, just perhaps not the school you're in right now. Although you may find that the school really does value you, they are just so relieved to have someone in place that they have sat back and decided that their job is done and that you are doing brilliantly, weren't they clever to find you?
    Have you spoken to anyone about the situation? I know it might be hard but you could plan how you are going to phrase things? Who is the NQT mentor in the school? Perhaps you could have a word with them.
    But, if all this fails, why not look for another post in teaching? try to remember why you became a teacher and what you loved so much and aim to find a school that fits the bill as closely as possible (you will have to compromise on something - it may be exam results, it may be behaviour).
    Good luck!