1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doubling

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by auntmatilda, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Could anyone please help me to describe to the children what 'doubling' means. The more I think about it the more tied up in the language I get. I am being observed on this!
    I have lots of visual and hands on activities
    planned but it is the whole class carpet introduction I am struggling with.
    The class is a rec/yr1 any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Could anyone please help me to describe to the children what 'doubling' means. The more I think about it the more tied up in the language I get. I am being observed on this!
    I have lots of visual and hands on activities
    planned but it is the whole class carpet introduction I am struggling with.
    The class is a rec/yr1 any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

3. Ideally you would, obviously, have identical twins in your class. I am assuming that you didn't have the foresight to sort this out? Hmm, I hope that came over with a hint of irony.
    I know that we have done doubling but am blowed if I can remember how I introduced it! Now that all of the things that I have to do are rolling over (in my R - Yr 2 class) there is always some-one in my class who knows how to do everything so I tend to get them to explain things.
    I might start by looking at a child and spotting the two eyes, two ears etc. Then look at how many eyes, toes, noses there are on 2 children. Dominoes are always useful as are ladybirds and butterflies.
    Some-one will be along in a minute with a really good story which will be ideal to introduce the concept. Have fun!

4. I completley overlooked the identical twin angle wotworklifebalance! What was I thinking?
    Thank you for making me smile

5. I asked my daughter what she knows about doubling and she replied

'It's the capital of Ireland!'

6. I usually use matching hands ie 3 fingers on one hand, make the other hand the same, count the total, 6 is double 3.

7. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

Capital of Ireland hillarious!!!! Was making playdough with three year old yesterday and commented that the recipe was so small I didn't think we'd have enough he said "We'll just double the recipe shall we?" I said yes how shall we do that he replied "We'll just add the same amount again." So out of the mouths of babes doubling "the same again"

8. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

You could use the childrens eyes and feet, two pairs of eyes looking at me, double 2 = 4 :) x