1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Double Summer Time anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Feb 21, 2011.

1. It's just the media's way of distracting us from all the other sh*t that is happening in this country thanks to the government.

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Oh course if Labour got back in - Mr Millibean has promised to double the hours in a day

3. They asked shifter, when he worked at The Palace of Varieties, how many hours he worked in a working week and he answered .." About a quarter of them."

4. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

That was a good week - I remember it well. Summer term, 1947

5. I'm old enough to remember the last time this was tried out in 1968-71 and it wasn't much fun teaching in school in the dark. Even when the sun is supposed to rise it's still pretty dark on cloudy winter mornings. I can see why people in the south won't be too fussed and will probably support it though.
    Mind you I don't often get up much before 9am these days anyway so any change won't make a lot of difference to me

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm in the South, and struggle enough as it is getting up in the dark. Why would I want to increase the number of days on which I have to do that? Madness!

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've never been a morning person, too long have the early risers with their pious "best time of the day" held sway. Light evenings and more of my life spent asleep when it's dark, what's not to like?

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm glad that you see it this way. Imagine what it will be like in Scotland. As for longer days in summer,it's already light at bedtime in early summer around here. Can't say I want it to be still very light at 11pm!
    As for the argument of poeple doing more because it's lighter,I think it's ignoring that people have fixed pattern of life: go to work/come back from work/have their evening meal/watch tv and that more or less light doesn't really come into it. The idea that we're all going to go jogging because there's more light sounds a bit silly to me.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assume that you don't have to get up for work?

10. I laughed out loud at that!

11. Completely agree PFF!

12. Mangleworzle

About 2-3 weeks of the year I get up in the dark, set off in the dark, see no daylight in the day and come home in the dark. If I can come home in the light for those 2-3 weeks with the rest unchanged it's a bonus.
    Plus I don't have to get up at 4 or 5 in the summer to go to work, or even 6 and most of the next hour come to think of it.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Where on earth do you live? Even Aberdeen in January manages a few hours of daylight.

14. Mangleworzle

My classroom is quite cave-like, unless I go outside then most days it's going to school and home again when I see daylight.

15. well - my expensive-rate leccy comes on at 7 in winter, 8 in summer
    so i suppose double summer time would mean i could get all my washing done and my dishwasher run in the cheap rate
    i need to get out more - whatever the light

16. It's months when I have to get up in the dark - indeed i've only just got on to half beam - and it really gets on my wick. I finish work at 2.30 so am happy for few hours' daylight.

17. It won't get light until almost 10am. That's insane. And it will still be dark at when I leave work so where's the advantage? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

18. Mangleworzle

That's just Scotland though - only about 43 people live there and they don't give a sh1t about us in England so why should they dicatate to the vast majority?

19. But that low sun slants in the windows and blinds all the kids and since they took my lovely old board and replaced it with this interactive jobby sunlight in the classroom is a thing of the past.

20. Fair enough. If we can have a better legal and education system, Is suppose we can manage better time too!