1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Double standards?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Emzo, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Emzo

Emzo New commenter

Okay, so, I love my job. I love teaching. I want to be in the classroom, teaching my pupils if it is safe. I hated lockdown, and felt inadequate.

Today, I received an email from my child's juniors music programme stating that it will not be safe to return to campus until late October. All learning will be virtual.

Now, I understand the 'hub' argument, and certainly don't blame the uni or perceive their argument to be unreasonable.

What does confuse me, is the fact that further and higher institutions have limited their delivery of school programmes to online platforms whilst over 1500 pupils can attend a secondary school with, let's be honest, no social distancing, no PPE and no real mitigation against risk.

Whilst the FE and HE unions remain strong, ours seem to have been buckled, driven by political agenda and trade offs rather than what is genuinely best for the workforce or the young people we are responsible for safeguarding as well as educating.

I think my question is what is right? How do we ensure the kids in our society are safe, nurtured, happy, engaged and learning? It all seems much more impossible than it did six months ago.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I agree, it's bonkers but then again, just about everything connected with Covid seems that way. It's not just double standards, it's triple and more.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think the teaching unions need to be a little more proactive in supporting teachers. For example, insisting upon masks for all staff and (secondary) pupils in school - at least. And that things like social distancing and one-way systems are maintained. Maybe they've got caught up in the cooperation thing.

Schools returning was undoubtedly political. The authorities will always cite the "no evidence of transmission originating from schools" mantra. Personally, and given the huge numbers involved, I think it's only a matter of time before deaths from Covid (originating in schools) start happening - statistically it must almost be inevitable.

I think the anomalies between what opens and what stays closed is down to trying to open up things gradually and not all at once. So, eg, gyms didn't get the nod but pubs did. I'm not saying I'm right, just that's what I think is the rationale.

Marisha and Catgirl1964 like this.
  4. Emzo

Emzo New commenter

I also worry about the potential for deaths stemming from outbreaks in school. Trying to socially distance is impossible, partially because many kids are 'over it' having not actually experienced it first hand, and partially because you can't pack so many people in a building and manage distancing. After 2 weeks we already have school-linked outbreaks, and I imagine this will increase over the course of week three. No more than three families allowed together inside at parties, but 30 young adults allowed in a classroom.... I just struggle to make sense of it.

Marisha, inthered, sicilypat and 3 others like this.
  5. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

Outbreaks will not originate in schools. The virus knows that it can’t get past the doors into a school - it’s clever that way. Any pupils will always be infected outside of the school gates.
    Any teachers who have it will never have been infected by pupils. It’ll be from someone outside of work, even if they go home to an empty house and have no social life.

MrsJREwing, Marisha, ACOYEAR8 and 3 others like this.
  6. Catherine25

Catherine25 New commenter

7. aleaiactaest

aleaiactaest New commenter

I don't know why the government just doesn't move the entire population to crowd inside school buildings with their immunity to Covid. Honestly, it's an insult to intelligence to maintain it can't spread between the kids ... I'd rather they just honestly say "We made a decision to take the risk, so the economy could restart / get the kids back into education" rather than try to kid on that it's safe.

Marisha, mousey1394, Yoda- and 4 others like this.
  8. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

9. partickz

partickz New commenter

This is me at the moment- my wife is due to give birth soon, on maternity leave from teaching. We are getting a food delivery and I am literally going to school and then home. I am guessing that if I get it, it will be from the Amazon or Tesco driver :)

Marisha and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. mousey1394

mousey1394 New commenter

I hope everything goes well for you both.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I'm sure it will.