1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Double lessons

Discussion in 'English' started by ks3english, Feb 3, 2011.

1. We are moving to double lessons and I just wanted to gather some ideas about how to use them best. How do people solit the lessons up in a double, what are the advantages etc...

Really appreciate any ideas so I can make this work well.

Lessons are an hour long and will be blocked together to make 2 hour lessons.

thank you in advance

[​IMG]

2. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We switched to 100 minute lessons this year, so not quite as long as your doubles will be, but the key is breaking down the time into specific sections.
    We've been encouraged to use 'rockets' to re-energise the students at various points during the lessons, but essentially mine break down into about 6 parts over 100 minutes, intro, starter - which can be more extensive than within 60 minutes, development 1, mini-plenary, development 2 and overall plenary.
    It gives you more scope for jigsawing activities, seeing a writing task through to a conclusion, rather than drafting one lesson and finalising the following lesson. There is far little time taken up with recapping previous lessons, because over 100 minutes more deep learning takes place. It gives you a lot of scope for engaging in a range of activities without being rushed, and with exam classes, the scope for assessment of full exam papers is really valuable.
    Depending on ability of classes, it's good to have some active sections to the lesson so more restless students have a chance to get out of their seats, activities such as getting students out to the board to give feedback on activities work well, voting with feet on key issues arising from the lesson, human timelines, drama etc etc.
    If you have access to IT within the classroom, we're lucky enough to have netbook banks in our department, and these can be used for part of the lesson without the rush to get them put away after 30 minutes or so as happened with 60 minute lessons.
    We haven't got it quite perfect yet, but the thought of going back to 60 minute lessons makes me shudder! And when the idea was put to us last year, I didn't think I'd ever be saying that.
    I could send you some sample lesson plans if you are interested?

3. 2 hours seems like a long time. The key would be to break up the lesson into almost a number of seperate lessons, making sure that the students don't get too bored of the same topic after 2 hours. You could make sure that you have a direct teaching aspect, a hands-on section, a written work part broken up with a game or different activity.

2 hour lessons could also be a great opportunity to undertake some rich tasks or learning projects that could be completed in the time.

4. thank you so much for your ideas guys!