1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Double Glazing reccommendations please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Sep 1, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Our old double glazing is well past its best, and needs to be replaced. BUT - there's alot of cowboys out there and we are fairly witless when it comes to finding reliable workers.
    Already, we have one company coming round to quote us a price, and we only expressed interest over the internet less than 10 minutes ago!! Now, they're either very efficient, or desparate for commission!
    Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has any reccommendations of a reliable company who does work to a good standard? We live in on the east side of Birmingham.
    Thanks.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We had a couple of windows replaced a couple of years ago. Things I found out from the internet:
    • Most big firms are rubbish - type into Google "-name of firm- review"
    • Most who send round salesmen are to be avoided at all costs - Google them.
    • I measured my windows decided exactly what I wanted, then emailed a few companies for a quote, they don't need to come round to do that, they need to come round to relieve you from as much money as they can.
    • Despite what different firms claim, the windows themselves are all pretty identical and come from the same very few places.
    • Ask people you know who have had any work done for recommendations - and costs!
    In the end the bloke 2 doors down from us did them (I forget he did windows at first!). He charged about 2/3rds of the cheapest email reply I got and did a great job. We live in Cambridgeshire so it's probably too far for him to go unfortunately.

3. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks for the useful advice, Mangleworzle. I'll bear that in mind.

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I recently used a website called RateMyTradesman. You put in details of your job and 3 trades people contact you. I only accepted contact via email and found a fantastic chap, good price, good units and very reliable. They have feedback left that you can read and make your decisions on that.
    They were 20% cheaper and completely non pushy. There's a lot of people out there desperate for work, its just trying to find them.

5. impis

impis New commenter

Thats useful to know, Phatsals, but there was a case highlighted on the tv recently where people had used this site to find a workman but had been swindled nevertheless. It seems that its all too easy for people to rate themselves, or to get their friends to rate them. There seems to be no real safe way of finding reliable workmen these days.

6. impis

impis New commenter

I'll give them a go in any case. Thanks for the link.

7. Get 3 quotes from local companies, and ask them where you can see examples of their work. Make sure you compare like-for-like quotes, and use your instinct about the person (usually the boss in a small local company) who comes round to assess the job.
    We did this a couple of years ago and got a great deal: 5 windows and a bay with new inserts/cladding for £2600. All Pilkington K glass 20mm (I think) units.

8. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

These were called dgp windows. Look them up and ask if they'll travel to you. I can't tell you how pleased I am with what they did, they've been laid off by LAs because of the budget cuts (haven't we all).
    Good luck, I hate looking for tradesmen for all the reasons you say but I've found two on the internet recently that have been fantastic.

9. impis

impis New commenter

Have done, and sadly they work only around the Manchester area.
    Bummer!

10. We are in similar position - geographically and in need of windows - have had a couple of local companies out to look at existing windows. So far most impressed with 5 Star Windows but haven't yet made final decision.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We got Anglian in some years ago, and we've had no problems since, but they're not the lowest price I'm sure. They've also done our front door, soffits and fascia boards. A bloke near us got some cowboys in to do his soffits and they were sagging not long after. My next door neighbour complained about the quality of work done on his fascias, refused to pay until it was right, and the low cost itinerant fitters came round in their battered white van while he was out and tore them to pieces.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Hubby worked in the industry for years and hated working for the big companies as the pressure on salesman was awful-remind you of anything?
    He went to work for a local company and all the work came from personal recommendations. They had an advert in the paper but no cold calling.
    Ask around. Get two or three quotes. Ask to see work they have done and speak to the people who had the work done. Go on your gut feeling. Hubby never pressed for contracts to be signed that day-he never did night calling as his stance was that he didn't want salesmen in the house in the evening.
    Anglia has been mentioned. As far as I know they are a good, but not the cheapest company. They have a good name in the industry and don't want to lose it!
    Good luck.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

You walso need to make sure they fit windows which reach modern standerds.They have to be council approved contractors to be able to give the right heat efficiancy..ot the council otherwise wil often charge you and send around their own person.
    The best recommendation is to see if others have had then fitted in your area and knock and ask about them.
    I woud also do some research as to types and benifits......fo example if you can get triple glazed and the benifits that might bring.
    In London the local Indain double glazing guy does good quotes, bu t not sure to the standard set
    ARe you replacing the whole window or just the doubl glazing...if the latter then a compternt builder should be able to install them for you..the double glazing units can be made in workshpops quite easy..but make sure they actually do have the vacum created inbetween the glass , and not as I watched one lot of cowboy D/G makers, just sandwhich the panes of glasses together without making sure a vacum existed.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Google them - they are awful.
    My late FIL was ripped off something awful by an Anglian salesman. About 14-15 years ago one told him it was £500 per window, one window was a bay which needed 5 panels, so that was £2,500. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

15. butties

butties New commenter

We have had some beautiful french doors installed by Anglian this summer and start to finish they were fantastic! We have just made another order with them because we were so impressed.

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Get a local joiner to provide you with double or triple glazed timber windows. Have a look at Jeldwen etc for timber windows.
    I do like a nice timber window.