1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do's and Don'ts for Healthy Living

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Nov 4, 2018.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I've just been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease, ie wear and tear on the soft tissue between spinal disks - but I have read that people from 20 years of age upwards are more likely to suffer back pain because of the disks in their backs. There are exercises one can do, and stem cell technology on NHS won't be far away - but what are your do's and don'ts for healthy living, including superfoods?

emerald52 likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

In a nutshell? Do keep reading, assessing and learning about the possibilities and recommendations which are forever changing, listen to your body, talk to people about what works for them and what does not, never give up even in the darkest of times, be thankful for every second of pain free life, use it or lose it, prioritise your mental physical and spiritual health, remember everyone is different and consider what healthy older people do around you after all they are successful at survival and you might learn a lot, that's all I can think of at the moment Josie. Hope you are feeling ok... *now must remember my list :) Xx

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

Oh, needabreak - you have excelled!!! I shall give you 10/10 for your contribution without doubt. I have discovered that there is a lot you can do for your spine, though, and well before old age. One of the things is not to sit at your computer for too long in the same position. For the spine, sometimes sit away from the back of the seat and arch your spine a few times and move your head slowly from side to side. Pull in your stomach too. Get up and walk around too in the evening between tv programmes - or when the adverts are on. I have a treadmill and I try to do at least 100-150 walks on this when the adverts are on. Sitting in one position isn't good for the young or the old.

emerald52 and needabreak like this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thank you and thank goodness I don't need to sit at a desk for long periods, such is the lot of a writer and poet perhaps? You are right we need to take these things seriously to avoid some of the more serious consequences when we don't... if we can of course.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Don't buy a large tub of Haagen Daas. You know that you will have finished it within 2 days, possibly even in one sitting :oops:

Own a dog. You will have to go for regular walks. Being active makes you feel like being more active.

6. JosieWhitehead

Yes, sadly, several years ago I went to the doctor with pain in my back and if she'd taken a few seconds to check, it was caused because my arches had dropped in my feet, which can happen at any age. After two to three years of just being given stronger and stronger pain killers instead of treatment, I was almost in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. From the internet I learned a lot and immediately went to an osteopath. He was horrified at the neglect given by the doctor and it took 2 years to get it put right. So, not being able to stand for long, I gave up my voluntary work at our church coffee centre and volunteered to go into the local school to sit with children and help them with reading one hour a week. It was these children who encouraged me to write poems for them, and I'm afraid I sat at my computer doing the typing and then making the websites for too long, ha ha But at least I was doing something useful for the children of the world. It is easy for doctors to fob you off with painkillers instead of getting to the root of a problem and why they don't refer people to osteopaths is very strange. We're lucky enough to have a fantastic group of osteopaths in our town. Have any of you been to osteopaths?

needabreak likes this.
  7. JosieWhitehead

Oh, the health benefits from owning a dog must surely be some of the best. You'll never ever get a better or more understanding friend than your dog. They say that people who return home, after heart surgery, to a home with a dog in it, get better much quicker. I'd have another one immediately if I felt that it wouldn't outlive me. Many older people would benefit from 'dog-share', ie having a dog during a family's working hours because dogs love human company and the other way, of course. I do this sometimes for my friend.

needabreak likes this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Superfoods are complete nonsense. They are just foods. Eat a balanced diet, try to get a decent 8 hours sleep, and have plenty of sex. "Diet" just means what you eat. Eat what you like, don't eat what you don't like. Booze in moderation. And did I say get plenty of sex?

EmanuelShadrack, ATfan and nizebaby like this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Never stop learning, or trying new things. Broaden your mind and your skillset for as long as you possibly can. It stops your mind from shutting down, and it gets you out more. Getting older isn't a licence for refusing to change.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

All true. But... life has a cruel way of pulling the rug from under you, however healthy a lifestyle you lead.

#there's cheerful!

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Eat a balanced diet and exercise.
    I hope your back isn't too painful Josie.

needabreak, Jamvic and JosieWhitehead like this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

It has been agony and I've had to take strong painkillers, but I think the stretching exercises help and often doctors are quick to hand out painkillers but slow to recommend osteopaths or physiotherapists - and perhaps doctors should run exercise classes on their premises and recommend them to people rather than handing out so much else - or nothing.

13. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

I was thinking exactly that when I read the news of Glenn Hoddle being rushed to hospital. Heart attack at only 61 after much of his life spent as a professional sportsman. Triple bypass likely to be needed.

Dunteachin likes this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

@JosieWhitehead really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You sound as though you are being really proactive and doing lots of things to help yourself. I agree with you about GP’s chucking painkillers at people though, especially it seems older people. My aunt ended up with serious withdrawal problems from being given strong painkillers for years by her GP.

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

That'll make josie chuckle!

I agree about superfoods.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Be careful when choosing an osteopath- there are some sharks out there.Many don't have medical/clinical training. Don't be too quick to dismiss doctors and their treatments- most of them do know what they are talking about. I think doctors refer to physiotherapists rather than osteopaths because physios are clinically trained.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    ATfan and bonxie like this.
  17. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Yoga. If you are able to, weekly yoga class has sorted out my neck and shoulder problems. Either a class (British Wheel of Yoga teachers are the best. Google for your nearest class.) Or Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. The BWY teacher will take into account your health and suggest alternative postures for you. All sorts of health issues in my class. I hope you find successful remedies.

ATfan and JosieWhitehead like this.
  18. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"Easy for doctors to fob you off"

Some do. Some don't. If you feel the doctors response isn't satisfactory, look for a new one. As another poster has said, not all osteopaths are trustworthy.

Eat properly, walk, get involved socially. Sometimes meeting with a being with people is the best tonic.

ATfan likes this.
  19. JosieWhitehead

Ha ha - Yes it will. Do you think that sex is good for the back though?

20. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

If you have collapsed arches, you should see a podiatrist to get a pair of insoles. As I understand it, the NHS will only give you the same pair as everyone else though. I went private and got a DIY pair that was horrible to wear so I now go to a French one and get my insoles moulded. My knees only give me grief occasionally now.

ATfan and yodaami2 like this.