1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Personal' started by katycustard, Jul 19, 2011.

1. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

My yr 8 son came home from school in a huff, because in a book quiz they were asked what colour Dorothy's shoes were, he correctly said 'silver' but was told the answer on the teacher's card was red!
    In the film the shoes were red, but in the book they were silver. The teacher wouldn't accept his answer and he was rightly annoyed.
    What would you have done in that situation as the teacher?

2. katycustard

My yr 8 son came home from school in a huff, because in a book quiz they were asked what colour Dorothy's shoes were, he correctly said 'silver' but was told the answer on the teacher's card was red!
    In the film the shoes were red, but in the book they were silver. The teacher wouldn't accept his answer and he was rightly annoyed.
    What would you have done in that situation as the teacher?

3. If I genuinely didn;t know if he was right or wrong I'd have got him to Google it and given the point if proven right.
    I wouldn't have known that TBH.
    Google is my friend in these situations.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

If your son had said something like 'in the film they were red but in the book they were silver' I would have either given him the benefit of the doubt, given him another question (saying i wasn't sure if he was right) or googled it on the spot.
    A teacher should always be willing to accept they may have got it wrong and a pupil got it right, particularly if they can explain their answer.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_color_were_Dorothy's_shoes_in_the_original_Wizard_of_Oz

5. katycustard

Thank you both. My son did explain about the book and film, but he's 13 and not the most confident lad. He probably grumped a bit, annoyed that the teacher didn't know!

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is this her?

[​IMG]

7. As a teacher - look it up and give extra points.

And as a parent I'd give a copy of the book to the teacher as an end of term present.

8. Love it!

9. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

Love this picture! [​IMG]

10. As his teacher, I would have made a joke at my own expense about my own knowledge, and praised him for having read the book, and knowing both answers :)

11. katycustard

[​IMG] Brilliant, and thanks for all the other comments too!

12. I would buy her the book with the passage describing the shoes highlighted and marked with post it notes!

13. She obviously wasn't a fan of the hunt for dorothy on BBC last year either!

14. katycustard

Oh, I forgotten about that!

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

16. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

How interesting. Thanks Nomad.

17. Not really about the topic as such but does anyone know why they changed the colour of the shoes to red for the film?

18. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

SERIOUS PEDANTRY ALERT

If the question was what colour were Dorothy's shoes in "The Wizard of Oz", then red is only right answer as this is the title of the film. L. Frank Baum's book was titled "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz".

However, I would have given the point.

19. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

20. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

The OP said it was a book quiz.