1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't you just love greed ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Wherever there's a crisis there's a profit.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Out of adversity comes opportunity

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's not really greed. Most people prefer to buy things when prices are low rather than when they are high. It's why shops have sales and special offers.

I bought a stash of Christmas cards at half price in January. Was that greed? Should I have waited until next Christmas so I could pay full price for them?

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Sounds like 'Milo', in Catch-22.

On a more everyday level, we have noticed that some retailers are cashing in. For example, our local 10 o'clock shop has increased the price of a two litre carton of milk from £1:10 to £1:70.

catbefriender and Jamvic like this.
  6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Maybe it helps make up for the times customers go to large supermarkets to the detriment of small retailers. I don't mind paying a little more for goods if it means I don't have to queue for ages just to get into the building and follow arrows on the floor. Yes, I understand why this is but it is just nice to pop straight in and out of my corner shop.

7. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

When all the panic buying started, our local garage increased their 12-pack toilets rolls to £16.99. Appalling.:mad:

8. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

Yet, nothing will ever be done and the public will forget about this within a week or two.

9. WB

WB Senior commenter

Distasteful though this seems, they're just a cog in the machine.

How many people will be angry at this but hope their pension provides for them in 20 years time?

If they had bought up ventilators and were selling to the NHS at vastly inflated prices I'd want them shot.

As it is it's distasteful but this is the system we've allowed to evolve. They're just a cog in the machine

10. Ivartheboneless

Well I'd dispute "allowed to evolve". We have inherited it, but it was designed by the capitalists for the capitalists, and as with all capitalist based systems, by exploiting the workforce.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Price Update! Half an hour ago, the cost of two litres of milk at our local shop had increased from £1:70 to £1:85.

catbefriender likes this.
  12. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

it's called stocks and shares. Crises always lead to dips in certain markets and investors dive in where things are needed or where things will creep up in price after the crisis is over. It's normal.

13. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

It's whether the prices will drop to their normal market value in the end which is the worrying part or if £1.85 will become the new normal.

Kandahar and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

@shakes1616: That worries me, too. We went shopping today and one of the things we hoped to pick up was a cauliflower. At Tesco, cauliflowers the size of albino Brussels sprouts were on sale for £2:99!

nomad likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

We shouldn't assume it's the corner shops profiting from this. Quite likely they are having to pay wholesalers more and are just passing the increase on. But because they are the people in the front line they get the blame.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

So an investment firm suggests buying stock when prices are low in the hope that they may increase in value at some future date and this is a monstrous crime because why?
    Because this "news" can be manipulated to dunk on some senior Tory is why.
    If we're to still have an economy when this is over you'd better hope people are investing now.

lanokia, Kandahar and WB like this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

It would help if your post was coherent, rather than waffly rubbish.

18. WB

WB Senior commenter

Made sense to me

Which bit didn't you understand?

artboyusa and Kandahar like this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What part did you have trouble understanding? Oh - just saw WB got there before me.
    Anyway, if you need additional learning support, please let me know.

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I've been buying frozen veg. Steam carefully and they won't mush.