1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't worry about a thing...

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by greenAPL, Sep 13, 2015.

1. greenAPL

greenAPL New commenter

Hi everyone. Thanks for the invite!

I think the premium resources will take time to take off, but there are definitely good signs on the UK site. I think we (as sellers) need to market our resources more effectively through social media- e.g. Facebook and Twitter and drive more teachers to the TES premium resources. e.g. You can set up a separate page on Facebook and promote it to your teaching friends at first.

There will definitely be teachers who are very negative about selling... But there is no such thing as a free lunch!! Quality resources take a lot of time and effort to produce as I'm sure you know!! It is your intellectual property which you are selling and it is valuable! So promote it and sell it. We teachers are a notorious bunch but there will be many teachers (and schools) who are willing to pay for and be extremely grateful for your high quality teaching resources.

I think the U.S. site will take even longer to take off- I believe the challenge (for TES) is to make US teachers aware of it firstly and then to drive traffic to view the resources. This seems to not be happening yet so it's nothing which you have done or failed to do. Once the volume of views is there then surely the sales will follow...

Remember are many potential teacher customera out there- TES have 7.3 million signed up (and there are many more across the world!) lets explain to them the time saving, valuable contribution to teaching and learning, comprehensive nature and easy to find resources which collectively the TES premium resources have to offer.

Andrew

TES_Tina likes this.
  2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi Andrew and welcome!

You're completely right the customer base is there it is just promoting it and keeping it growing!

September has been a goo month so far :)

Pleased you're here

Charlee

TES_Tina likes this.
  3. Goodeyedeers

Goodeyedeers New commenter

Hi Andrew

I think you are spot on. There is going to be some reluctance to begin with - there always is with any change but in the end quality will be what determines success. Many teachers/schools will not mind paying if they feel what they are getting is useful and of a high standard.

We all need to do our bit to let people know what great resources are available through TES. Maybe we could use this forum to share some practical ideas?

Mike

TES_Tina likes this.
  4. greenAPL

greenAPL New commenter

Exactly Mike- great idea! I suggested we use Facebook and Twitter as they are easy to use social media platforms, free and many people will have teaching friends to reach.

My facebook page is: www.facebook.com/GreenAPLEducation

Does anyone else have any ideas about how we can promote premium resources to fellow teachers? After all our teaching community will only adapt to a new way of buying high quality premium resources if we are willing to to tell them of the terrific benefits they can bring to their classroom!

Andrew

5. Goodeyedeers

Facebook is something I know I should be doing more with but, as of yet I'm not (must be an age thing!!)

Twitter I'm using much more - mainly on my own Twitter page - @mj51day I also have a Goodeyedeers one but this still needs working on - @goodeyedeers

On my Twitter I've started putting pictures advertising our resources with my TES tweets - I read that the best size to ensure the whole picture shows up is 1024px X 512px. An easy way of achieving this is to use a website called Canva

I've also recently started producing a weekly newsletter for a friend. At present it has about 500 subscribers (all teacher) and a 14% open rate. I've been using it to highlight TES Resources

I was recently listening to a podcast which was saying how important Pinterest is becoming for small businesses. That's the next thing I'm going to have a look at.

Mike

6. TheGingerTeacher

Wow Goodeyedeers you sound really on the ball!

I have a facebook page and I tweet now and then, most of my marketing is on pinterest, I do love pinterest it seems to really drive people to your products.

I'm going to go follow you all now on all the platforms lol

7. TheGingerTeacher

8. greenAPL

greenAPL New commenter

Good work you two!! I am now following both of you on twitter- my twitter is @GreenAPLEd

I will have to look into Pinterest then....

So who else is going to join our social media marketing campaign???

Andy

9. TheGingerTeacher

Rally the troops!

10. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

11. TheGingerTeacher

Oooh right back at you! Following on pinterest too x

12. Goodeyedeers

Thanks for all these links folks I'm now off to create some Pinterest boards.

The link is www.pinterest.com/goodeyedeers - at the moment there is nothing there - but I'm going to spend the afternoon working on that.

I have recently been listening to two podcasts about social media, one of which is more geared to Pinterest. They interview some interesting people talking about how small businesses can make better use of social media.

1. Manly Pinterest - this link will take you to the website, blog and podcast.

2. Social Media Marketing

Hope these are useful.

Mike

13. Goodeyedeers

Slowly getting to grips with Pinterest. Have spent the afternoon creating 5 boards. Any feedback would be appreciated - and you don't have to be nice!!

14. TheGingerTeacher

Your Pinterest looks good so far :) When you pin more things you will get more followers.

Just one thing, and this is only my opinion so feel free to ignore me completely, but I would organise your premium resources with other resources by type not in a group of their own because when I look for things on Pinterest I look for boards about Winter math games for example not boards with paid resources. Does that make sense? Like I said its only a personal thing.

Charleei

15. Goodeyedeers

Thanks for the advice Charleei.

Of to change it now.

16. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

Hey everybody!
    A long time since I posted in the sellers group...but seems like everybody is feeling the same as me:
    Cautiously optimistic!
    I am slowly but surely adding quality resources. Sales have been slow compared to *** but it is still early days. One thing I have noticed is that we are far less inclined as a nation to leave reviews. A cultural thing perhaps? Or maybe just that *** offer credit to reviewers.
    great that we are sharing social media. I will follow all your links above.
    Me

Pinterest betsybelleteach

Facebook has done nothing for me so I am not updating it yet

Maybe I should tweet but I find it too addictive and get little else done!x

Charleei likes this.
  17. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Thanks for the follow, Betsy! I've noticed the same thing about reviews :/

18. TheGingerTeacher

Hi Betsy couldn't find you on Pinterest. Do you have a direct link?

19. betsybelleteach

Great advice, I hadn't thought about themed boards for my resources, they are all just lumped together on one board at the moment.

20. betsybelleteach

I don't know how to copy a link as it is on an app. But if you check your followers list I am defo one of your followers cod I remember pinning some of your eye make up pics the other night!x