1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Don’t think I can enter the school gates!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fudgetdata, May 13, 2018.

  1. fudgetdata

    fudgetdata New commenter

    Currently off with WRS due to bullying from a particular member of SLT. I’m going to resign this week in order to cut ties with the school and have been told by the doctor and OH that I won’t be fit to serve my notice in the school.

    I’m struggerling with everything at the moment. I find it hard to even talk to the union about the situation without crying. I’ve been called in for an ‘informal’ meeting about attendance but I can not even go any where near the school at the moment let alone have a meeting. I will just cry and have a panic attack. This will then be a whole week of utter distress. I understand that schools ‘must’ follow policies however I can not face them.

    Of course I’ve written an email saying I can not attend and quoting the OH report and doctor but worried they will not accept this. At the moment I have nothing ‘bad’ on my record and worried they will put me on formal attenedence if I don’t attend. Any advice?
  2. sweetness_sweetness

    sweetness_sweetness New commenter

    Hi, so sorry to hear you are going through this. I know it’s hard but you really need to contact your union about this and to get them to act on your behalf. Please don’t hand in your notice until you’ve spoken to them. I’m sure they won’t mind you crying down the phone etc- I’ve dont it plenty of times to my representative but it is very important you cover yourself. They’ll be able to help negotiate your reference, avoid putting you onto any support etc etc but please call them
    JohnJCazorla and Shedman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    You have made your decision and have had some decisions made for you.

    You will be resigning.
    Your doctor and OH think you're not fit to work.

    Things are bad.

    Not accept it? What are they going to do?

    An informal meeting, eh? Informal, my ass. There's no such thing! Let's call it what it is - an opportunity for them to bully you off the record! They have given themselves away by using the word "informal". There's nothing statutory about it. They just want to intimidate them. You have been told what to do. Stay at home. You are NOT FIT.
  4. Moony

    Moony Lead commenter

    Stay home, get all further communication to go to you via your union rep.
    fudgetdata and Shedman like this.
  5. Shedman

    Shedman Star commenter

    Good advice.
  6. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    Don't go back in - negotiate through the union and get a settlement agreement.
    fudgetdata likes this.
  7. mothorchid

    mothorchid Star commenter

    It feels terrible right now, but try to focus on the fact that only a few weeks down the line you will be FREE!
    And don't go in. Stay home and rest.
    grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. mirandamason536

    mirandamason536 New commenter

    Don’t go in, and don’t have any contact with them except through your union. Get a settlement and agreed reference. Work has made you ill - don’t let it make you any worse. Keep posting if it helps.
    fudgetdata likes this.
  9. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    IMHO they are probably following procedure to try and show that they do things correctly, possibly because they are covering their own backs.

    I have seen a similar situation with a head who ignored STPCD, treating staff really badly, making several staff end up ill...but once the chips were down every box was being ticked.

    You are leaving, your GP has told you you aren’t fit to return, you do not need to attend any attendance meeting. I agree, get union to be the intermediary.
    fudgetdata likes this.
  10. phlogiston

    phlogiston Star commenter

    The great thing about "fit to work" notes is that it's not you choosing to wimp out, it's the medical professional saying "fudgetdata is not fit to work". You can use e-mail or snail mail to send this to the appropriate people at your school. It is essential that school receive (by post if necessary) originals of those documents.
    The union are probably used to stressed and upset people and will e sympathetic.

    In the meantime, pamper yourself with hot baths, favourite books or TV shows, cups of tea whenever you need one, exercise (even walking round the block) and time spent with trusted civilised people. This will help your brain to straighten itself out.
    Hugs and good luck.
    fudgetdata likes this.
  11. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    If you resign, with effect from 31 August, then I can't see that the school can do anything about it. As long as a doctor agrees that you are too ill to work, then you will be on sick leave until you leave. If your time on full pay expires before the end of term, you might want to see if you can get fit to return for a day or so at the end of term. Whatever the school threatens, they cannot get rid of you earlier.

    If you don't resign, and hope for an SA, you might get more. Certainly, the school would have to pay you until the end of the calendar year if they try to dismiss you on health grounds after the end of May. Any time between dismissal on such grounds and your departure date is (if you are under the Burgundy Book; if not it will depend on your school's policies) at full pay. Whether the stress of fighting will be too much is something only you can decide. I say 'hope for an SA' - you cannot assume that it will happen.
    fudgetdata likes this.
  12. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    The employer should take a copy, but the patient should keep the original fit note. It’s okay to email one in or get a kind relative to take one in for the employee to copy if anyone is awkward about not seeing the original.

  13. Berryred

    Berryred New commenter

    You don't have to attend personally, you can send your union rep instead. I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago but managed to get a settlement agreement and we parted ways. Once I made this decision, they cancelled my meeting. I've officially left the school but have just had the agreement to sign. Try to stay positive and appreciate the small things in life. It WILL get better. Thinking about you and sending the best wishes.
    fudgetdata likes this.

Share This Page