1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't tell my mum, but...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Inspired by RugbyLad's thread, what are the things that you *weren't* allowed to do as a child, but now do and still feel that hint of rebellion about? (Or is it just me)
    *I sometimes have pudding even when I haven't eaten all my dinner
    *I have CocoPops for breakfast, even when it's not the holidays
    *I watch TV at dinnertime if I want

But I still wouldn't dream of licking my knife!

2. tafkam

Inspired by RugbyLad's thread, what are the things that you *weren't* allowed to do as a child, but now do and still feel that hint of rebellion about? (Or is it just me)
    *I sometimes have pudding even when I haven't eaten all my dinner
    *I have CocoPops for breakfast, even when it's not the holidays
    *I watch TV at dinnertime if I want

But I still wouldn't dream of licking my knife!

3. Ha you call that rebbellion. I sometimes have pudding instead of dinner. Though actually that's tea where I live, oop north.
    I nip to the corner shop in my slippers.
    I actually go out without drying my hair, should be dead really but hey ho.
    Sure there are loads of things, will have to get thinking.

• I put my elbows on the table
    • I stay in my pyjamas past 8am
    • I sometimes swear ([​IMG])

4. I lick my knife sometimes. And I make cakes just so I can lick the bowl.

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I miss Mass every week.
    I never go to Confession.
    I don't dust and hoover every day (or even every week).
    I don't iron towels, tea-towels, dishcloths, or socks and underwear.
    I often go to bed late and get up late (especially at weekends).

6. I often leave the dishes (for a day or two).
    Go to bed late on a school night.
    Still haven't a clue when it comes to finance! (Whoops! How did I spend that much?)

7. Somethings I still can't do because of my mum: I can't chew chewing gum after being told that, if swallowed, the gum would get stuck round my bones and slowly asphyxiate me... drink alcohol before 6 in the evening because that'd be far too slovenly but after that magical hour, it's quite acceptable, in her home, to drink herself into a stupor. The Ten o'clock news makes me think it's the bewitching hour, bed time, 'cause we all had to be tucked up and out of mind my the 10 o'clock news chimes. Trevor McDonald still holds a special place in my heart because I'd listen to to the news float through the house and drift off to sleep. Apart from those small details nothing really comes to mind, I did have very open minded and free thinking parents though, so much so, that I think I turned out far too normal for them, how disappointing of me. I have been accused of quite disdainfully smelling like a teacher and looking like a teacher - a little bit too grey and washed out. Somethings that I do that wouldn't have been approved, occasionally watching day-time TV and having a life long inability to not cook food well... ho hum!

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I shave my legs - my mam told me never to shave my legs cos the hairs will grow back thick as a forest
    sometimes, I wear my pyjamas all day on a Sunday
    I have 2 tattoos - she probably wouldn't believe me if I told her. I'm the most unlikely person in the whole family to have tattoos
    Occassioanlly, I drink alcohol - you can get a bad reputation if you drink anything stronger than coffee.
    I'm not totally a Bad Girl. When I was 13, I got my ears pierced - TWICE!!! *gasp, shcok, horror* But, then I felt guilty because my dad said only loose girls had their ears pierced more than once, so I took the studs out and let the holes close up/ Dignity restored and no -one ever knew

9. I can only think of three things my mother attempted to impress upon me with any rigour: don't lick the plate, milk and butter only ever appear outside the kitchen in a jug and a butter dish, and sex before marriage is wrong.
    Nice try Mum. I'm with you all the way on the milk and butter thing.

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

staying in bed past 10am

Watching DVDs, esp James bond films for not other reasons that escapism

Making roast spuds that aren't covered in fat/oil

not having a 'seat' and being free to sit anywhere within the living room!

11. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Sounds exactly like me! My parents were over for dinner last weekend and I noticed my Dad giving me a look and gradually eased my elbows from the table. I'm 38, married with children (who probably put their elbows on the table but I haven't noticed)!

12. Please don't tell my mum...
    I don't always put a clean top in to go to the shops! (In my defence I haven't yet been knocked down by a car and been ashamed because the nurse at hospital has seen a tea-stain on the collar of my t-shirt!)
    I sometimes enjoy caffeinated drinks after 2pm!
    If I go out for a drink (not that often!) I drink pints! (Apparantly a true lady chooses half-pints and usually stops at just the one !)

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Elbows on the table? That wasn't allowed at my family's place either, so I still feel guilty about it, even though I'm an arch offender.

I still have happy memories of playing on the railway embankment as a child. My friend - whose house backed onto it - and I never went down to the track but we loved being on forbidden territory. That was in Acock's Green, for you Brummies out there.

14. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I was told by my mother not to shave my legs because the hairs would be thicker when they grew back. Anyway I do shave my legs.
    I drink coca-cola whenever I like, not just as a special treat at Christmas.
    I always swore that when I grew up I would buy a Soda Stream as lots of my mates had them and my parents would never buy one. Now I am a grown up I've realised that actually I can live without fizzy drinks made from lukewarm tap water. [​IMG]

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I drink diet coke all the time and not just as a special treat.
    I don't always wash my hands before sitting down to a meal, even when (horror of horrors!!) I have been touching the dogs.
    I have dogs. They sleep in the bedroom and sit on the sofas.
    I don't have a piece of fruit after every meal.

16. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

I have not worn a vest for the best part of 35 years.
    I don't always wear slippers in the house.
    Sometimes I don't close the living room door or pull all the plugs out when I go to bed.

17. I have a tattoo.
    I don't eat enough fruit.
    I eat far too many sweets. Usually before my tea.
    I quite like eating cake for breakfast.

18. ljr

ljr New commenter

I have used a cake mix rather than mix a cake from scratch when I'm in a hurry,
    I have left my bed sheets on the bed longer than a week,
    I have sat down to read a book in the afternoon.

19. tafkam

That actually made me laugh out loud! The things we think we'll want to do...
    I was adamant that when I was older I'd watch "Allo Allo!" as much as I liked. On reflection, it turns out it is just as bad as my parents seemed to suggest. Not that I'd admit it to them!