1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't strike, donate a day's pay to poorest schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/striking-isnt-answer-maybe

So I think a new form of industrial action needs to take place if teachers want to make that stand and move things forward. Earlier this year, for instance, the bus-drivers of Okayama in Japan "struck" by carrying on working but not charging their passengers any fares. The action received worldwide attention and support.

We cannot do quite that, but we could similarly carry on working as normal on a nominated “strike” day, without pay. Or, if that presents too many legal problems, perhaps donating all our pay that day to our cash-strapped schools or some other worthy charities. It is all about shaming.

As with most teachers, I can’t really afford to work for nothing (though we often do, I know), but the day's pay would, of course, be docked anyway if we went on strike. Think of the far more powerful and meaningful message a day of working without pay would send to pupils, public, press and prime ministers alike. It's just my view, obviously, but maybe this kind of protest has far more chance of seriously grabbing hearts and minds than the disrupting or closing down of schools for a day?

One of the more bonkers articles that have appeared recently. Giving a day's pay certainly sends a clear message to the government - teachers are paid too much and they can afford to subsidise schools so we can cut teachers pay and school budgets even further!

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Speechless!

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

This isn't even close to analogous to the bus drivers' action.

They were working and not giving fares to their employer, thus denying the exploitative capitalists of their income while not alienating their fellow workers and customers whom they serve and who are not responsible for their plight.

Given that state schools are funded indirectly through taxation and are in theory non-profit (academy chain shenanigans notwithstanding), it's impossible to try the same thing.

4. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

As the writer of the article points out, the public are already (mainly) on our side so we don't need to 'buy' their support. Despite the fact that the public are concerned about school funding, the Government shows no intention of increasing spending because they are too choked up with Brexit and have reassured themselves there is no credible opposition.

Shedman likes this.
  5. history200

history200 New commenter

Wow, just wow!

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A bonkers idea, but to to be fair to TES it's a personal opinion piece from someone who doesn't work for TES, a serving HOD somewhere I think, it's not something TES are proposing.

I agree with @varcolac, the analogy with Japanese bus drivers hasn't been thought through. It's not the same thing at all. The bus drivers were hurting their employer by cutting off their revenue from customers.

agathamorse, Jamvic and Shedman like this.
  7. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Agree totally. The most bonkers thing I’ve read this week!

agathamorse, Jamvic and Shedman like this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No guts.

No backbone

...to do something meaningful.

The solution on offer is embarrassing. You can give money to your school anytime.

Clueless.

9. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

C'mon on, it's a great idea. Why not a whole month of action?

I shall be writing to the head to say the school can keep my December salary.

Alice K, Jamvic and Shedman like this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

12. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Another way teachers are trying to plug the gaps that the government are creating instead of forcing the government to solve it. Plus, there are so many schools in debt that the money wouldn’t even touch the sides

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Subsidise Osborne and his cronies? no thanks.
    Any teacher who buys stuff for school is doing exactly that.

Alice K and Shedman like this.
  14. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

There is some lovely equipment available which would benefit special needs pupils.

Headteachers often see this in action but refuse to change their ways.

Feel free to ring for a chat. Perhaps you could buy and donate this equipment instead?

Doing workshops in special schools I often do two classes at a time as I use equipment which is so engaging and educational.

Actions speak louder than words .. or would you all prefer to keep on moaning?

All the best.

Kevin

15. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

For a school in deficit, the equipment you mention is at the bottom of a long list of priorities, including (in my last school) paying the electricity bill. Your comments are naive.

Why should underpaid teachers prop up the lack in funding that will prolong this issue? The less teachers pay for, the sooner it will all collapse and someone will actually have to do something to save us!

If I didn’t have a curriculum to teach with few resources and a small budget, 19 classes (500 pupils per week) and only 1 hour per week in which to do it, I would probably be able to plan and teach lessons that were more engaging. Get down from that pedestal and help us!

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

How lovely. I assume you do all this for free to assist the struggling school budgets.

Alice K, jarndyce, Sir_Henry and 2 others like this.
  17. circuskevin

I have donated equipment the last couple of years to a Severe Learning Disability cub scout group in Wolverhampton.

I got a nice 'thank you' letter earlier this term. The lady who runs this group is currently writing an article which will hopefully appear in TES sometime.

This lady is a teacher who is currently employed writing EHC plans for children with special needs.

She is also applying for grant funding to start a toy library to lend out equipment for special needs children. This includes the sort of equipment I use in my work.

Toy libraries are an old idea. It will be interesting to see if this one targeting special needs children with equipment that has come on the market the last 20 years is successful.

Kevin

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The "action" in question being for teachers to fund their own schools?

Ive seen several of your posts. In the nicest possible way, you are living in a bubble, a long way from reality.

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Brownie points for you, so what?

I honestly think the vast majority of teachers donated far more than a days pay to their schools every year.

If you are arguing that donating a days pay is the action that speaks louder than words and will remove the reasons teachers moan, then how come that hasn't changed anything? I've been teaching, and donating for decades, as have all my colleagues!

20. circuskevin

Hello @Lalex123 ,

Good of you to reply. I need to engage teachers in this discussion.

The cost of the equipment I use is trivial in terms of school budgets. It is more attitudes that need to change. You might need to get down on your hands and knees to get the special needs kids operating fairly simple things effectively!

I was at one special school earlier this year where there was a roomful of expensive running and cycling machines. Seemed not to be used at all during the day. It was next to the hall I was working in. Blind, autistic and all sorts were having a great time with my equipment. I have encouraged the school to get the sort of equipment I use themselves. I doubt they ever will.

Kevin