1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

* * * * * Don't miss that pinned thread at the very top!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Easy to miss the inconspicuous thread at the very top, above all the shouty ones.

But it's the most important thread on here at the moment.

In it there is the link to the JustGiving page to donate money for the funeral costs of a poster who died at the weekend.

For many years the poster who variously went under the names of Tidal_toag, then Tidal, then Didactylos4 was someone who brought a great deal of happiness to the Forum, with his wit, his technical help, his measured responses to flaming discussions.

He was much loved.

His health was poor, he had been unable to work for some time, he died in difficult circumstances and had no savings or possessions to pay for his funeral.

TES posters, and indeed TES itself, have been donating to the JustGiving page

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/tidal

If you can spare the price of a latte, a Chicken Korma, or some wine, (or all three) please, please join us in giving an honourable farewell to a dearly beloved poster.

You don't have to sign up to JustGiving, you can do it as a guest. You can be anonymous or with your TES or real name. You can pay by card or by PayPal. It's very easy!

*** Please bump this thread so that the threads about JustGiving for Tidal are easily found

And if you are on Twitter, please RT my tweet about this

Twitter: @Theo_Griff

Thank you to those who have donated and those who are just about to!

Best wishes

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Bump

And you don’t have to display how much you have donated.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

4. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Also one click with Applepay

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

bump.

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Absolutely

8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Maybe his union or the Teachers Benevolent Fund could help?

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

DukeofYork has already pointed out he would be entitled to a 'Social Funeral', but this would be an opportunity for us to give something back for all tidal has done over the years. To 'send him off in the style he deserves' rather than just the basics. And even a basic funeral isn't cheap these days. Even a cremation with no attendees can be going on for £1000.:eek:

TheoGriff, Duke of York and caress like this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Absolutely. 52 donations have got us to 58% of the target. That's a magnificent achievement so far. If my maths is any good, it just needs another 46.8 more people to donate to reach the target. :)

Every little helps. Even if you can only afford the cost of the stamp you'd have spent sending Tidal a Christmas card, which you'd undoubtedly have done if you knew his address wouldn't you, it adds to the total.

Go on. You know it's the decent thing to do for our dear lost, but loved friend.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Bump

TheoGriff likes this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Bump again.

TheoGriff likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Up.

TheoGriff likes this.
  14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lovely Tidal. <3

EDIT: Well! I expected that to change into a heart! My Spanish computer is very good at ñ and á and ç and ¿¿¿, but not at hearts!

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Am paid tomorrow!

Bump!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump

Many thanks to everyone for the lovely messages on the different threads.

Tidal's sister was able to read many of them to Tidal in his final hours. The messages are a continuing source of comfort to the family still, seeing how well loved and admired he was.

Best wishes

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Let me tell you this, @sabrinakat, if you're able to make a small donation to Tidal's funeral, I wont be asking you if it isn't your turn to get a round in at the next TES meet. Even if you persisted on demanding you bought me a drink, I'd happily refuse it on the basis you'd already done your bit.

If people think in the sort of terms of "Would I but a poster I liked, a pint at a TES meet to say thanks", but spend that money instead on a donation to his funeral, it ain't so difficult to get it into perspective.

I'll tell you this for nothing. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to attend a dry TES meet, where all the money we'd have spent on beer and wine went on Tidal's funeral instead.

I've drunk tapwater when I've had to drive and it ain't as bad as it sounds.

Just do it.

I'll tell you something else. If I any met a person in a pub looking sorrowfully into an empty glass and was worried about how buying another drink would affect her overdraft, I'd ask her what the problem was.

If she told me that she couldn't afford another drink, because she'd spent her last few shillings on Tidal's funeral, what do you imagine I'd do?

I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd organise a collection for her, and I bet any money you like, we'd collect as much money as she needed to drown out the misery of her teaching day, have enought to pay for a taxi home and still have a bit left over to donate to Tidal's funeral.

It's all it takes. The price of a pint you probably didn't need, to make a contribuion, and you know what? If you can bring yourself to do it, how much better will you think of yourself for doing it?

This post isn't directed at sabrinakat, by the way, because I know she's the sort who'd never hesitate to help out as soon as she can. It's for the rest who must have have had their payday by now and are wondering what tat to waste it on on Black Friday.

I'll tell you something else. How about we do a special Black Friday offer where you can make a half price donation, or rather get twice the feeling of warmth from it?

Just do it. You'd be glad of it if it was you instead of Tidal, wouldn't you? It's just a few clicks, a few moths flying out of your purse while you find your bank card and the rest makes you feel a genuine part of the community.

Click-click-click, love-love-love and a merry Christmas to all. You can do it.

When you consider how many long lost posters have taken the trouble to make an effort to contribute, surely there's more than enough current ones who can too.

You won't be forgotten when you need you need a bit of help, and you'll be first in the queue to get it if you turn to and help Tidal out.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Just got paid so heading over.