1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Like The School Dinner?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Nov 11, 2018.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Have the schools in Shanghai and Beijing lost their shine? Seems like a large number of staff adverts in the TES.

Is their a reason for the turnover or is it just one of those blips that happens from time to time?

2. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Are you referring to the specific school group with problem school dinners, or Beijing and Shanghai turnover in general?

3. february31st

I was thinking about a particular group of schools as it usually has a steady staff turnover, this year it looks like staff jumping ship.

Another brand name will have a great deal of difficulty finding staff to fill all the vacancies it has. Maybe when the SMT wear heavy rubber boots it should not kick the teaching staff so hard and so often.

With other recruitment sites I have been contacted with this week there are 500 jobs going in China this week.

4. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

There have been big changes with the tax system, and certainly in BJ, there have been loads of things shutting down, especially ex-pat favourites.
    Rumours around about why various people are leaving various schools from major budget cuts, non-representative SLTs, one school not paying any of the staff (think that has now shut down, though). The usual!

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Speaking to people leaving in my school (which is one of the brand ones, not sure if it's one of the ones you refer to - not the heavy-booted mob, though) it seems to be just the natural turnover - younger teachers moving on at the end of their contract, mixed with some longer serving staff who just feel like a move. I think on the whole both Beijing and Shanghai have a bit of a shelf life, and after about 5 years you either move on or are there to the end.

That school which didn't pay its staff - it's still open, it was "rescued" by the Education Committee though the head was given the old heave-ho shortly after. Its sister school in Singapore has washed their hands of the Beijing branch. General feeling is that it will close eventually and the government will take it over as a Government school, with most of the teachers leaving at the end of the year.

6. february31st

Was having a beer or two with a parent I knew since their kids where at a former school of mine in Shanghai. Looks like its just a bumper year for staff leaving this year for one reason or another. Maybe signing on again for 3 more years was too long for some staffers.

Everything comes to a natural end and its time to leave for new pa$ture$.

The school in Beijing that went bankrupt and has been taken over by the Beijing Education Bureau had Chinese passport holders as students, so had to be saved!