1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Laugh, but...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DM

DM New commenter

I really wouldn't do OCR MEI as there is coursework and this will be difficult to arrange for an external candidate.

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

It's a good coursework though. I wonder if MEI suggest arrangements fro external candidates?

3. totally off-topic (as ever!) but when my younger sibs were at secondary school, my mum, having done the mother-and-housewife thing for some 25 years at this point, re-took maths gcse to catch herself up with the new maths
    she then worked her way through 'a long way from euclid'

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I hadn't thought of this but it is good coursework and only in C3 (unless you do the Numerical Methods module).
    I know some schools don't allow external candidates where there are coursework requirements so this would need to be looked into.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Thanks - I'll check with my local schools. Not many in Brighton offer A-level, strangely.

6. Sit as a private candidate
    Edexcel is far the most watered down and there is a sense of 'just getting through'
    I like the old MEI although many schools are going edexcel it seems from anecdotal evidence.
    I don't like teaching the edexcel as the majority of the books give me the feeling of "This is just getting you through" rather than an in depth knowledge

7. Since my children have trotted off to uni (one soon to go hopefully) I wished I could go back and do my degree again - my kids courses look so much more interesting than mine

8. Hi Andrew,

I'm doing AQA through Oxford Open Learning. It's quite good - they send you a large folder full of qns etc and youhave to complete tutor marked assignments every other week. Plus you get access to a personal tutor who you can contact if you have any qns.
    I've found this quite easy to use. Plus, you learn things yourself at your own pace - which is ideal too!
    It is quite pricey though at nearly £400 to do the complete A level. Plus you have to pay exam fees and find your own examination centre as a private candidate (although i found that this was v easy to organise using my local college).

If you're quite an experienced maths teacher, and with access to other mathematicians, I would probably just buy the books, teach yourself and then book in to complete the exams!

Good luck

9. I've just noticed my contradiction in there - I complete my TMA's every other week, but you don't have to i.e. you do it at your own pace! Sorry for any confusion!

10. All I can say is whatever board you decide, go for it. I was an idle toad at school (n years ago) and for 15 years taught KS 3 and 4. At the behest of my then HOD I embarked on teaching A level (then WJEC), within three or four weeks I was hooked. Now by choice I would teach A level all the way.
    What I found was that the material that seemed impossible and a chore all those years ago was crystal and obvious now. Be carefu, you may get hooked.
    I would also look at MEI, the text books are well written and if you can subscribe to the resouces they provide an admirable back up. Also you get the feeling you are learning maths not just jumping through hoops to pass an exam.

Good luck and enjoy.

11. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

My thanks to you all for your kind and helpful responses. I am determined to give it a go but want to 'do maths' rather than hoop jump, so I will aim for an autumn entry now I think.

12. A lot of the schools are 11 to 16 only, but there are several 6th form colleges too. Below are 2 schools and 2 colleges that offer A level maths, however I have no idea what their policies are on external / private candidates ... can't imagine it would be a problem for the colleges though...

Cardinal Newman - edexcel, A level maths and further maths
    Blatchington Mill - edexcel, alevel maths & further maths
    BHASVIC - edexcel, alevel maths
    Varndean College -edexcel, Alevel maths & further maths

13. If you pick a syllabus without coursework then it doesn't matter what syllabus the centre you go to is doing - for exams you're just another body in an exam hall to the exam officer. I know my school has candidates sitting OCR, AQA and Edexcel Maths this summer.
    The coursework is potentially a real problem, particularly as OCR is the exam board least friendly to private candidates. AQA's standard system is to get the moderator to mark the coursework for private candidates, as long as there is someone (e.g. tutor) verifying that the work has been completed by the candidate. There can be so few people stufying MEI Maths as private candidates that OCR might be prepared to arrange something similar as a one off - I'd ask them

14. DM

DM New commenter

I don't understand this sentence at all as OCR doesn't have coursework (are you thinking of OCR MEI?) and my wife sat A Level mathematics and A Level mathematics as a private candidate with OCR.

15. DM

DM New commenter

that should have said "and A Level further mathematics" ...

16. Dangermouse -yes I did mean OCR MEI. I'm sure doing OCR Maths was fine for your wife as it didn't involve coursework, but whereas AQA bends over backwards to make its syllabuses with coursework (in lots of subjects) accessible to private candidates, OCR does not. I've never heard of any distance learning provider offering anything with OCR as they don't seem to cater for that market. This means that no centre is likely to accept a private entry for OCR MEI as it would require someone in the centre to sign to say that they had supervised the work and that, to the best of their knowledge, it was the candidate's own work. (And they'll have to mark it. Since not many schools do OCR MEI that severely reduces the no. of possible schools as well.)