1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know where to start-tips please!!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tweetypi88, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I've decided to begin private tutoring and I joined an online agency. I'm due to begin tutoring a 9 year old maths and english in a week. The parent has asked me to do an hour a week for 20 weeks. I'm really excited, but as I'm new to this, I don't really know where to start!! Should I do half an hour english and half an hour maths, or teach english one week and maths the next?
    Also I put down my hourly fee on the website which is 18 pounds per hour, however the pupil lives 7 miles away. Should I tell them I need to increase the price a bit to cover petrol or say that I charge x amound per mile?
    Any other tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone give their pupils homework to do?
    Many thanks!!

2. emmathe37th

emmathe37th New commenter

I would say Maths one week and English the next as that means you can really get into a topic. But ask the parents what they would prefer, and also ask the pupil.
    I don't think 7 miles is too far, but I think £20 would make it a nice round figure for the parents. But if they already know your rates are £18, they might be a bit put out if you then say 'oh by the way, it's gone up to £20.'
    And I only give my pupils homework if the parents ask for it...or maybe just give them something to read for that week and ask them about it the following week. Especially with a 9 year old - let them be children at that age!