1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Personal' started by celago22, Sep 13, 2019.

1. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

After a 75 hour week and less than 2 hours to myself each evening, plus awful parents, challenging kids and a never ending workload aswell as constant stress, no lunch break, I want to leave teaching. Do I go at Xmas or see the whole year through?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Only you can make that decision. A resignation will need to be submitted by 31st October if you want to leave at Christmas.

Teacher Support Network. Call them

Trained counsellors will listen to you without judgement and will help you think through the problems you are facing, whether personal or professional, to find a way forwards and feel better.

UK-wide: 08000 562 561
    Txt: 07909 341229

The helpline is free and available to all teachers, lecturers and staff in education (primary, secondary, further or higher education) in England, Wales and Scotland 24/7, 365 days a year.

bonxie, mothorchid, Laphroig and 7 others like this.
  3. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

Agree with nomad, only you can decide. It depends on your circumstances? Do you have another plan? Although we only get one life if its making you ill or unhappy maybe getting out, or at least switching schools, or trying supply? I'd also say don't rush into any decisions. Good luck with whatever you decide

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

when you look back in 5 or 10 years time, will you think - "o yes, that extra 6 months January to July was well spent in that school", or will you think "why the ****** did I waste my precious time on earth in that dump"?

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I'm in the same situation. Its no way to live.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is NO WAY you need to work 75 hours a week - it's completely unsustainable.

7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

75 hours for something you love - wonderful and fulfilling. But not in teaching. You will be too drained to be of much use to anyone.

Just get out of there.
    In similar and perhaps ? more extreme circumstances, I look back and think.
    What on earth did I put up with that for?
    Supply. Now.
    And leaving was the best thing I ever did.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One thing that many teachers (particularly the younger ones) don't appreciate is YOU NEED YOUR SLEEP TO FUNCTION PROPERLY)

Don't kid yourselves that you don't.

9. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Do you need to teach? Is there some other job you can do?

10. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

There are loads of jobs I could do. I have a finance degree and worked in industry for a bit. I've thought about NHS jobs, paralegal, admin based jobs. I'm fed up of basically working non-stop and feeling stressed all the time.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

75 hours is illegal. Just sayin'.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Then you're in a much stronger position than most. If you're this browned off two weeks in, I can't see it improving with dark mornings, winter colds and exam pressure. I left my last teaching job at Christmas. My replacement was hopeless and walked out before Easter. I went back there on supply till summer basically to get the Y11s through their projects and exams because I felt guilty at leaving them with Lizzie Dripping, but it was all on my terms.

I can easily see how you could clock up 75 hrs a week. In at 7.30, out at 5.30, 3hrs a night and most of Sunday. It all depends on the demands made upon you. Not everyone's in a position to stick their head over the parapet and say enough's enough. You'd be on Capability before you could say sack.

ilovesooty likes this.
  13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

You have loads of options by the look of it. I stayed far too long where I was miserable in teaching. I had fifteen wonderful years doing something else but as soon as the shine began to dim I got out - in my case to self employment .

Don't ruin your health.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Go. GO NOW.

ms honey likes this.
  15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I agree, teaching is no longer enjoyable, well EFL is! Took early retirement, went back for a year to cover maternity leave and have taught EFL ever since. Kids and Adults, have got some lovely friends now in Saudi, Palestine, Spain, Russia, Italy and so many more countries. Met up with a former student in Libya, also in Jordan, have invites to visit all the countries.
    Get a CELTA, it's worth it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    towncryer likes this.