1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by twiglet84, Sep 20, 2018.

1. twiglet84

twiglet84 New commenter

I started a new job this September, praying that changing schools would be the solution. It's not. I'm miserable! I have been teaching for 9 years and have loved it until the last two. But I'm tired now. Tired of kids being rude, tired of losing my weekends and leaving the house by 6:45. I just don't know what I can do! I am a maths teacher and have some publishing experience. Ideally I'd like a part time role but I don't know how I could retrain in a new role part time. Or if it's even possible. Any suggestions from maths teachers who have left the profession? I'm close to breaking point!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Getting out a starting something new is really tricky and needs careful thought and planning. Many decisions depend on your financial situation.
    As a maths teacher you might consider tutoring as a bridge to a new life outside teaching. This would mean you could take a part time role, possibly outside teaching whilst training for or applying for other jobs.
    There are plenty of threads about people in the same position as you so - most seem to be on the workplace dilemma forum.

agathamorse likes this.