1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do....

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mari_asai, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I’m trying to figure out if I’m
    incompetent, unlucky or ill suited to teaching! I’m in my late twenties; I
    qualified as a primary school teacher in 2009 and have had a succession of
    supply and temporary jobs since then. I
    have experience in a variety of schools from the inner-city school where the
    children (my class were Year 2 but the same applied to most of the school)
    threw chairs, swore at staff, and had fights whenever they felt like. To an ‘Outstanding’ school where the workload
    was impossible and the pressure to achieve ‘progression’ according to data and
    spreadsheets intense.

I’m struggling to know what to do next, I
    know I could, maybe should, apply for teaching jobs for September. If I do then
    this will be my fourth successive application cycle. I just feel really tired. I didn’t enjoy the uncertainty of day-to-day
    supply and I already feel anxious when I think about starting out in a new school
    yet again; having to get to grips with the ‘who’ and ‘how’ and the workload and the knowledge that in all likelihood it would be another temporary contract. I’m not afraid of hard work but I just feel
    so tired of it all. There’s no guarantee
    I’ll find a post as the area I live in is saturated with unemployed NQTs (up to
    500 applications per post often quoted) and I’ve already tried moving areas
    (ended up sharing a flat with an IV drug user and working in aforementioned
    inner-city school) which has put me off!

I’m just feeling a bit sorry for myself, I
    know that if I’d got a permanent post and been able to stick with it I’d be
    three years in, used to the school and how it works and probably finding the
    workload a lot easier. I’ve tried to
    look on the positive side and think about how lucky I am, especially as the recession has been so difficult for so many people. I’ve spent the last few years living with
    family, which has enabled me to continue to pursue teaching, rather than having
    to take whatever job I could get but I feel I’ve put my career ahead of
    everything else, like making friends, hobbies etc. and now it’s come to nothing
    and I don’t know what to do.

I suppose I just wanted to write down how I'm feeling and see if anyone has any advice/ suggestions of what you would do if you were me.

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I have not been in your position as such. I was out of work for a while but my supply agency organised an interview for me and I have now been in the same job for 3 years. However, I planned to jump ship from where I am as I suspected that the school I was working for were going to restructure (it is a private school) and I was right - they have but I have secured redundancy and I had already secured another position - which leads me to my point. Have you considered teaching abroad? A fresh new start?

3. Thanks for your reply! I don't really fancy teaching abroad; I feel a bit like I used to be the sort of person who would move abroad but my experiences over the last few years have knocked the stuffing out of me and I don't have the energy or the confidence to do something like that now. I also think I've come to appreciate the support of my family more while I've been finding things difficult so wouldn't want to move a long way away from them and my experience of moving away within the UK (only about 300 miles) also put me off. Good luck in your new job!

4. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I would say that the first thing you need before a new position is self-belief and confidence! And as for your supply teaching, it is valuable experience. The thing is with family support is that I am moving 3000 miles away and I still know that I have their support and help with one call or email for anything, no matter where I am in the world. The thing you will get with going abroad is a strong expat community that offers support. Go to the middle east and you get a tax free salary. You may not see yourself as that person but you would be surprised. What do you have to lose? Sitting here in cold weather, paying £1.40 a litre for petrol and tax on everything??? And I understand that there are so many people applying for one job. It took my dad 5 years to secure a position. And he is a qualified head. You either need to persevere or make a change and only you can change things. Review your CV, review your letter of application. On supply, try and stay within the same cluster of schools and even try emailing them directly to offer supply services as this would save them money (although you'd be paid monthly that way).