1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do...opinions please.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Jun 26, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

why?

2. I suppose because we live in the village. The school is also losing numbers.

3. For a reason, it seems. Do what's right by your son. If you work at a good school, send him there instead of a... not so good school.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

1. i have an R/1/2 class and my TA takes YR a lot. doesn't mean they don't do well - i do all the planning and assessing.
    2. just because the topics look dull on a newsletter doesn't mean they actually ARE.
    have you been to visit, spoken to teacher and head? you'll get a much better feel.

5. lurk_much

How is that your responsibility? Small village schools often under-perform, they struggle to provide a broad education, in one a bad teacher does disproportionate damage. They cost more to the council tax payer per child. In general closing them increases the quality of education locally.
    You should make the best choice for your child. Other people not having to get up ten minutes earlier than they prefer is not a sufficient reason to damage your child's chances.

6. emilystrange

oh, i dunno. we have less than 50 children in 2 classes. ofsted decided we were underperforming so badly they gave us 'good'.

7. However, consensus of opinion from some local parents says they are. There outdoor area is also limited and they don't do much outside. My son is very young and loves just being outside playing and learning with his hands.
    Yep she should have gone with the dinosaurs!
    I appreciate that, I know a lot of good R/1/2 classes, just not sure this is one of them!
    Does anyone have experience of teaching their own child or having their own child in school?

8. I'm not suggesting small schools are bad schools. Far from it. I just have some issues with this one. My own school isn't classed as large.

9. emilystrange

sorry, that was in reply to lurk_much.

10. lurk_much

Statistically I believe they fail the brightest. Small year groups reduce the chances of smart kids mixing with equally high ability children. I should be able to find a study somewhere that supports my statement. It is probably nothing to do with the abilities of the teachers. It is down to having a smaller NoR and a reduced blend of staff skills.
    Personally I would choose larger primary schools everything else being equal.

11. Ahh![​IMG]

12. emilystrange

on the other hand, we know our children and their capabilities extremely well and can follow through any SEN from year to year easily. no one slips through the net. we have time to really get to know them. transition isn't a problem.
    we do pretty well with our g&t, and our cluster organises g&t days. so do the high schools.

13. lurk_much

I know / knew.
    It isn't anything personal emily.

14. there have been threads on this before - but i can't think what to put in as a search term to find one [​IMG]
    i seem to remember at primary, a lot of parents have had children attend the school they worked at, and a few of us have taught our own children (in my case, it was only in twice-a-week groups, not day-in, day-out - but one or 2 had been their own child's class teacher)
    i do not recall anyone wishing they hadn't - there were niggles, certainly - but then, there's niggles with other folks' kids too

15. lurk_much

some small schools are outstanding.

16. emilystrange

indeed, they are. i know of one that only has 19 kids.

17. School size is not relevant here imo

If the Op has no confidence in the head and considers the curriculum to be poor there is no reason to send the boy to the school

I have never had my kids at my school but I know plenty that have and seen very few issues caused

18. Tut tut! As if the educational problem will be resolved by whether a KS1 kid goes to a small village primary or a larger one.
    Wow, that's a large box you are thinking in, isn't it?

19. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Easy choice; everything about your posts says you don t want to send him to the village school. So don't.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Emily!
    Long time no see - but I can now see that things are still going well, very well, for you.
    Glad to hear it!
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.