1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do - advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Feb 27, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Give your school a ring tomorrow morning. Ask about setting up a meeting and programme for the return to work.
    If you haven't done so already, get in touch with a trained caseworker from your union and arrange for him/her to come along too.
    It is important for you to be in control of the process and to feel happy about each stage before upping the teaching load.

2. Thank you. I have got union help on this, but I haven't been able to get hold of the person in question. I just don't want to end up making things worse/getting myself into trouble.

3. Good reply. It amazes me that schools seem to think their employees will know what the procedure is/initiate everything/make all the arrangements.

4. Maybe so, but equally the employee should be capable of invoking the process, especially if the school may not have received the letter from OH until halfterm week? Surely we as professionals also have a duty....

5. How would you know? If you don't know what the process is, or have any idea of the timescale? Or the departments involved? I'm not conversant in employment law.
    The employee in this case has been told that she should have a phased return. Is she supposed to draw up the plan herself? Coordinate the meeting? Invite whom? I wouldn't know because I would consider it the business of the other agencies involved to set all this up and let me know. I'd presume it was what they were paid for.

6. Don't get me wrong, I am usually totally on the side of the "sick person" BUT we do have to accept some responsibility - for example, the teacher COULD have phoned the union for advice or have at least have called the school secretary to pass on a message to say that his/her sicknote runs out on monday and given OH's advice what should s\he do....
    Certainly if the OP feels that s/he has a need to post on here the night before school, should they have not considered this atleast on Friday when a message atleast could have been passed on?

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

It's not clear from the OP when her 'Fit Note' expires

8. I don't really want to go into a lot of detail here, but I have been in touch several times with school about sick/fit notes, and about a phased return. I have also tried to speak to the union. Communication works both ways, I believe. I just haven't had any answers! I do appreciate the kind words from previous posters, but object to the assumption that I've left it to the last minute. I've done as much as I think I reasonably could have. I'm posting here because I've run out of ideas and have nowhere left to turn, and was under the impression that fellow teachers might be able to advise me appropriately.

9. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

giraffe's advice is good.
    The only caveat I would make is that if your "sick-note" has expired, then you should turn up in person and ask for the phased return meeting, and get them to send you home if they're not ready for it.