1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't just pick on footballers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eleanorms, Apr 5, 2020.

1. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

So says Gary Linekar. Should players accept a 30% pay cut while not playing? Apparently they can't all afford it.
    No, neither can my family, but we are going to have to.
    Clubs have furloughed many admin and ground staff, but players claim they still have to train and in addition are ready and willing to do something to help Covid effort. Who's right?

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

It's beyond ridiculous.
    Are they key workers? No.
    Are they working? No.
    Do we need them even after all of this? No.
    Are they earning a reasonable wage for a hard day's work? No.

When hardworking families who need their wages are going without, struggling, having sleepless nights, caring for/worrying about family members' health, anyone in sport who claims they shouldn't pony up should be ashamed of themselves and fired, with all of their wages donated to the NHS.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

if they are fired they won't have any wages to pony up.o_O

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

According to the Professional Footballer Association, if they give up some pay the NHS will suffer as they won't be paying their taxes.

So there you have it, they're doing us all a favour. Big cheer for the footballers of England who are the real saviours in this Covid-19 crisis.

abwdSTEM, TheoGriff and Jesmond12 like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I don't know who's right but players refusing to make some sacrifice in their pay just doesn't sit very well with those who are working for a small fraction of their pay and who are putting their lives at risk. In PR terms it is a disaster not only for the players themselves who could be seen as just selfish and greedy and also for the clubs who are asking the government to bail them out with regard to ground and admin staff but are still paying the players multi-million pound annual salaries. It remains to be seen whether gate receipts will fall as supporters shun a sport that may be perceived to have looked after their own while the rest of the country were willingly making sacrifices for the benefit of all.

afterdark and TheoGriff like this.
  6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

People love football and footballers though. Imagine no football in Italy. There'd be riots. I don't care for football or sport myself but thousands dote on it.

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

There is no football in Italy nor anywhere else at the moment. No need to do any imagining.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It really isn't as simple as it seems.

If players take a pay cut, who benefits from that money? Those who pay them, i.e. the extremely rich owners, who don't need any more.
    Not the NHS.
    Not the government.

The fact that these rich owners are wanting bail outs from the government for furloughing their non-playing staff isn't the fault of the footballers. So why criticise them?

Surely it would be better for the very rich footballers (i.e. premier league - those in lower divisions are not well paid) to be paid in full and make donations of 30% to e.g. NHS, Red Cross, Samaritans, Trussel Trust - any charity working to help people affected by CV. Probably some of them are already doing something similar.

They're easy targets, footballers, because they're household names Why not challenge other people earning hundreds of thousands of £ to forego some of their salary?

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

strawbs likes this.
  11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I can't readily find the reference. But apparently if clubs impose a wage cut, the players come out of contract automatically so their value on the transfer market disappears and the club cannot sell them: all on free transfer and balance sheet gets a hit.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Meanwhile in another universe:

Fast bowler Mark Wood says it was the “right thing” for England players to make a £500,000 donation to the England and Wales Cricket Board and selected good causes.

Amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis, centrally contracted players volunteered to contribute 20% of their salary for three months.

“We were unanimous in wanting to help out,” Wood, 30, told BBC Sport.

“We have obligations as professional sportsmen to be role models."

He added: "But it is the people on the front line who are the real superheroes, doing an amazing job.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52174154

There are options other than keep getting paid in full and whining.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

To be fair, this is completely different - this is English international players working with the England & Wales Cricket Board. With footballers, it's players with contracts to play for their club. Nothing to do with the national side

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They have options other than to watch other employees of their club losing their jobs while they are seen to fulfill all the negative stereotypes about footballers and pay by hanging on to everything they have and whining about being picked on.

Maybe they'll just dig their heels in and then later on whine about any consequences.

Shedman likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There are those saying that teachers should now be paid less, as most are no longer working 5 days a week...or some who argue they should be redeployed/work for the NHS...some people seem to think that all teachers are now off and doing nothing :(

16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I read the other day that Man Utd Players have agreed to a 30% pay cut for a month on condition it goes to Manchester NHS.

abwdSTEM, chelsea2 and Mangleworzle like this.
  17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They'd have to stop watching it too and judging from the football thread here over the years that would seem unlikely, that said I'm not sure anyone here is representarive of wider football viewing public.

On the plus side maybe our children will pay more attention at school without an incentive to become 'famous' or become a 'celeb'... viewing of shows that promote them will collapse then employees can retrain for future essential front line jobs... in Tesco if need be. :D:oops:

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

How about Gary Lineker?

smoothnewt likes this.
  19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

He's giving up 2 months' salary.

smoothnewt and needabreak like this.
  20. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I guess that is a start. I am surprised that there aren’t more ‘monied’ people out there, who are giving like this.