1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't just book it.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ....let Thomas Cook **** it up for you.
    As you're no doubt bored with me saying, my son's getting married in Turkey in the summer. We booked a family party to the resort, choosing and paying extra for a particular flight so we wouldn't end up being awake all night the day before.
    They've just emailed to say the flight's been changed. Instead of 11.15, it's now 7 a.m. This means we have to check in by 5 a.m. and it will take us at least two hours to get to the airport and park. Up and out by 3 a.m.
    I rang them back to say no thanks, we'll have a different one; we're happy to go to a different airport if necessary. But because the difference in time isn't twelve hours, we have to pay £300 to change it or lump it.
    I understand that a tour company doesn't have complete control over flight schedules but when they change it, wouldn't you think they would at least not charge you a hundred quid each to find you another?
    I shall of course never use this company again. I'm stuck with it this time because of the wedding but never again will I consider a firm whose only repeated mantra for making me stay up all night at my age is "It's in the t&c".

2. ....let Thomas Cook **** it up for you.
    As you're no doubt bored with me saying, my son's getting married in Turkey in the summer. We booked a family party to the resort, choosing and paying extra for a particular flight so we wouldn't end up being awake all night the day before.
    They've just emailed to say the flight's been changed. Instead of 11.15, it's now 7 a.m. This means we have to check in by 5 a.m. and it will take us at least two hours to get to the airport and park. Up and out by 3 a.m.
    I rang them back to say no thanks, we'll have a different one; we're happy to go to a different airport if necessary. But because the difference in time isn't twelve hours, we have to pay £300 to change it or lump it.
    I understand that a tour company doesn't have complete control over flight schedules but when they change it, wouldn't you think they would at least not charge you a hundred quid each to find you another?
    I shall of course never use this company again. I'm stuck with it this time because of the wedding but never again will I consider a firm whose only repeated mantra for making me stay up all night at my age is "It's in the t&c".

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I had a similar problem with Thomas Cook last year. We booked a holiday for the first week in August, however due to a situation out of our control we could no longer go that week.

I contacted Thomas Cook to ask if we could change the holiday to a few weeks later, they told us it would cost around £1500 to change the date - that is more than what we paid for the original holiday. I could not understand their logic at all and they explained that it would have to cost that much because the online savings we had at the time we booked our holiday no longer applied.

I ended up telling them that it would be cheaper for me to cancel that holiday, lose my deposit and book a completely different holiday. Madness.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

So waht happens if Turkey goes **** up like the rest of the countries round the med?

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

We take the camper van for these, turn up the evening before and get a good nights sleep in the carpark. An early start is much easier if you have just had seven hours sleep.

6. I believe the resort lies on a fault line. So many possibilities for disaster! Son1 and the bride to be have wedding insurance that isn't affected by civil disorder or Acts of God (hey thanks God! Thanks for the hurricane/earthquake/flood!) though obviously our holiday as such goes down the tube. They'll just get married over here instead and we will all be one expensive holiday worse off!
    Isn't Turkey a democratic republic already?

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Turkey already has a secular, democratically elected Government, Kamal Ataturk saw to that.
    When did France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Malta, etc go **** up? ( we'll ignore Israel, Lebanon, etc) I must have missed the report!

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Maybe, but them Kurds ain't happy......

... they want to break away from the Wheys.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It'll take a big cheese to sort them out, maybe then they'll brie OK, feta moment though edam stay put before they gouda a place..

10. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I vowed never to use Thomas Cook again after a holiday to Tenerife.

Can't really blame them for the problems with the flights as 9/11 happened while we were out there. However, I can blame them for supplying me with counterfeit notes when I used their bureau de change. Was left with very little option other than to sponge off my mates for the rest of the holiday as the banks in Tenerife were (understandably) not particularly willing to exchange them for real cash.

On my return, Thomas Cook's response was, "Prove those banknotes came from us."

Well, of course, I couldn't, so I made a scene, made sure everyone in the queue behind me knew what had happened, and left. Bye bye £300.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The most annoying TV ad of the last few months was that 'we fink abaat it' one for Thomas Cook. I have just been told that those two were the Redknapps.
    Wonder if they take TC package holidays? really?