1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Gis A Job.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 8, 2020.

1. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

That's just weird, Clash gigs weren't full of teens. I saw them a couple of dozen times between 1978 and 1985. They had a pretty broad appeal (my uncle came to one gig and he'd have been in his 30s then). There were loads of teen bands about at the time, all the Two Tone stuff, Wham, Human League and the rest. I saw a lot of great bands in that era, Ramones, Stooges, Buzzcocks etc and some pretty dire ones too (The Exploited and Anti-Nowhere League) the audience demographics were pretty similar. So, unless you're saying Iggy Pop was a teenybob sensation, I must disagree with your assessment.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Thank you for your observations. I have to confess to having never seen the band perform, but recall many of the boys at the boarding school I taught at during the 70s being Clash fans. I haven't a clue about Iggy Pop regarding his following. My observation regarding the Clash, is simply that the band were fairly mainstream / commercial (for a reason), in the way that another band of the same era; The Only Ones, were not. Nevertheless, you are the one who attended their concerts, and I respect your findings, and stand corrected. I do, incidentally, rate the band highly.

LiamD likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Great band The Clash. A product of time when people were free to think and act. Can we imagine anyone making "Rock the Casbah" today?
    It's an echo of a lost era.

Kandahar likes this.
  5. LiamD

Another Girl, Another Planet was a great pop song. I never saw The Only Ones but I did see Wire play live, who I thought were similar. I liked both but they were a bit 'arty' for laddies off a cooncil scheme in Aberdeen.
    I never knew anyone from a boarding school but there were always fans who went nuts at Rock The Casbah and London Calling but seemed indifferent to great songs like Complete Control and I'm So Bored. Maybe you're right that the the more mainstream offerings dragged in some folk who otherwise wouldn't have been there but they were still a great live band.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. LiamD

I've got to admit that Jude's ramblings evoked pangs of nostalgia for those heady days of teenage angst and excesses.Signing on once a fortnight and dodging Job Centre interviews and YOP schemes can't have been as blissful as I remember it.

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I might be one day, though, but only in hindsight. ;)