1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Gis A Job.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Their biggest fanbase were 13-16 year olds who had parents, probably with banal jobs, that provided them with the money to buy albums, posters & concert tickets.

The band wouldn’t have been included on radio playlists for long without being a commercial success for music execs.

Bernard Rhodes worked hard all his life from leaving the orphanage at 16 and was the main driving force behind their entire image. The Clash, as you know them, wouldn’t have existed without his innate entrepreneurship and workaholic outlook on life.

Strummer credits Rhodes as his mentor, stating "He constructed The Clash and focused our energies and we repaid him by being really good at what we did".[16] Rhodes told them to write about social issues occurring at the time, i.e., the housing problems, lack of education, dead-end futures.[16] Strummer said that Rhodes was the only one who understood how one should go about getting known.[16]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Rhodes

To be fair to the band they did stick to their left wing principles and took many financial hits themselves to stay true to their core messages. The record companies didn’t though.

The band's political sentiments were reflected in their resistance to the music industry's usual profit motivations; even at their peak, tickets to shows and souvenirs were reasonably priced.[44] The group insisted that CBS sell their double and triple album sets London Calling and Sandinista! for the price of a single album each (then £5), succeeding with the former and compromising with the latter by agreeing to sell it for £5.99 and forfeit all their performance royalties on its first 200,000 sales.[103] These "VFM" (value for money) principles meant that they were constantly in debt to CBS, and only started to break even around 1982.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clash

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I disagree.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

No! That makes a change :D.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That's news to me.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Did The Clash and their management not work hard to become the success they were? Is professional musician not a job? It’s called the music business for a reason.

knitone likes this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes...but then Mr Peakster has a habit of having somewhat square views. He even considers Ofsted to be useful!

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Another shocker.

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Public school boy...manufactured outrage.

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. Biggest fanbase more likely 18 to mid 20s (the Smiths...not the Clash...who were teeniebop).

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

@peakster is fully entitled to his opinions be they square, rectangular or spherical in nature.

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

You’re probably correct.

Kandahar likes this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The fans of the hard working bands with steady jobs you mean?

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Seeing jamvic's cake pictures are making my mouth water.

Jamvic and ilovesooty like this.
  14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

May I interrupt to ask why your username defines you as nealswife?

15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. And I'm entitled to say that I disagree.

16. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I believe that her husband was called Neale

17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Exactly.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  18. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

As a life-long Clash fan, I have to ask what you mean by this?

19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Teen Bop is nothing to be ashamed about. The Beatles enshrined the genre during their formative years. Some groups attract younger followers, some older followers such as The Enid, or Van der Graaf Generator.

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I knew other teens when I was young to whom 'being on the brew' was no big deal and who seemed to quite like the mooching around. I don't think it was a particularly odd thing, and I can't remember any animosity to them as we often hung around or drank together.

LiamD likes this.