1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Gis A Job.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Post pandemic (whenever that is) there might well be a great many unemployed and, among those, there will certainly be a lot of young people.

The government wants to pump two billion into job creation especially targeted at young people.

But, is this really good for young people? Whatever happened to a good stint on the dole taking drugs and listening to music? What of the scraping together of a few quid and the early hours drunken talks out in the still air sharing cheap larger or a two litre bottle of White Lightning and your auntie's antidepressants?

Should we pushing kids into work when they can be chilling out and staying up all night? Remember the golden times of never having to worry about getting up for work and the wonderful friendships forged over a cadged ciggie and the shared innocent adventures trying to get off with some sweet young woman down the road.

What of the great soul searching? The Tuesday afternoons spent stoned out of your mind listening to some borrowed album? The visceral hatred of the government that had put you in that position? The stupid grown ups telling you that "you need a good job if you're ever going to make something of yourself"?

Are we going to rob our young people of all those delights? How can they ever become properly politically aware unless they are on the barricades swigging from shared cans of beer and smashing up the system? Can they truly grow as people unless they are lampooning the authority figure of the teacher or the copper?

I managed to doge no end of government schemes. Sure, I did a couple of days of YTS or Job Creation schemes but, I was soon off up the road and calling round for a brew and a roll-up at a mates mid morning for a natter. In the seventies the government were forever creating work for us and we were forever dodging it and laughing about it in the pub.

Are we seriously going to deprive our young people of the chance to give society a good kicking and become political firebrands or do we expect them to tow the line and get a good job and have kids or make whatever mistakes the majority make?

I'm nearly sixty and I've never forget the existential immediacy of dole-queue living: especially when I was a teenager. It was brilliant! No need to get up in the morning. Out all night until everything went totally still and quiet around one in the morning and a strange eeriness fell. There's nothing like that feeling of observing the little town, the quiet street, the still houses and the silent factories. It's a wonderland. It's freedom!

Only boy scouts and girl guides or those posh kids who went to the fancy school would be too scared to take a walk on the wild side of life. Sure, they had all the latest albums and you might see them in the pub before they had to go home to daddy and mummy but, they were only playing at it: weekenders, plastic hippies.

With this great opportunity for a youth awakening are we really going to condemn them to some vacuous continuum and sentence them to a lifetime of drudgery and ignorance , kids, a mortgage and an early death through a life of meaningless toil?

Couldn't we just let them have a bit of fun at our expense? I say "at our expense" but, I have to admit, I never played the game. I have to do now I'm an old fella but, I was a child in the garden for as long as I could be.

Sure, young people might lose their jobs but, if their parents are on the dole anyway, it'll bring about a whole new experience before they have to plunge headlong into the banality of existence.

Seriously, what intelligent, creative and excited young person is going to want a job if the fates have ripped up the rule book and scattered its pages to the wind?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

A bit like The Young Ones then?

AF3C2912-5FF7-4D75-817C-5F3C4EFA8BB0.gif

colpee, nizebaby, Nanny Ogg and 3 others like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There are other ways of living.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Can it be that it was all so simple then
    Or has time rewritten every line?

Jamvic, agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Such a time described by the OP never existed

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Know your audience! It is Wednesday morning (I think) on the TES forum.
    This shared moment will have you on ignore fifty fold, and a couple of people will have read that, immediately logged out, and gone off to pray for you.
    love
    Aunty Noreen

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Hey Jude, you sound just like my brother - he got a decent scholarship to well publicised school, blew up the chem labs for fun and got kicked out - never needed to work like the rest of us! Too smart by far - I was average Joe and had to get a proper job, couldn't play guitar on pot, copying Hendrix or Clapton. But the life you lead, is the one you have chosen and if it works, great.

Please remember, I have toiled all my life to pay my higher rate taxes to keep you in bed and partying, when i was planning, marking and raising children, alone, never on the dole. I admire your spunk to do what you did/do but not all of us could have that, even if we wanted it at the time.

Pension will be there soon too.... I have the BAS**** who put my pensionable age up by 7 years, no notice to prepare. The did that so they could pay out because I rarely got dunk, never smoked or taken drugs, ran marathons and therefore, may live longer, that's if work doesn't kill....still waiting in a pension trap.

I thought I was too cool to look forward to being pensioned off but now, I want it and back dated too, because I have worked all my life and earned that right to be liberated from toil.

The post is provocative as it separates us in society - I gather here, most will have worked their socks off and will only surmise that this some how, seems a little unfair - and trust me, there have been days when I felt awful and wanted to stay at home with with the baby screaming all night. I wanted to party and stay home the next day.

You have been lucky in the system and savvy, like Citizen Smith.

Alice K and Jamvic like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Jude likes the parasite's life he pursued for a time before taking paid employment. Like the screw worm fly. Life as a flesh eating grub feasting on a warm body before a short period of adult responsibility looking for another warm, gaping wound for the next generation.

Jamvic and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Jude is a tormented soul.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Dunty, the balm of Gilead.

Jamvic and Dunteachin like this.
  11. Nealswife

But I wonder if such people are happy with little to contribute - I just wish there was better balance in life for those who do and those who can't be asked. This is an art perfected by some, I have no time for that. I know that is not what the social system was created for. It was to help people get back on their feet, not indulge for life when they have good arms, legs and the possibility of a brain that has not become addled and befuddled by too much thinking of how to 'beat the system', sponging off others' sweat. No time for free loaders, not even my brother who is like bloody Einstein but never worked.

Alice K, Jamvic and tonymars like this.
  12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Thanks. I try.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Nealswife

Many of us are - for many reasons.

Jamvic and Dunteachin like this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Jude has a history of working. Paid work. Not at the moment because of covid so he is maybe in danger of relapsing.

Jamvic and phlogiston like this.
  15. Jude Fawley

Next there'll be posters telling me the true fans of The Smiths were those who had all the albums, the posters and went to the concerts because they had the money from their banal jobs.

When the true fans were those who dossed about on the dole and only ever knew about the band from snatches on the radio.

'Making Plans For Nigel', 'My Perfect Cousin' and the music of Joe Strummer. Could one really delude themselves into believing that because they could afford the LPs and concert tickets from their steady jobs, they were rebelling?

No! The true fan and disciple was on the dole. The true punk couldn't afford the clothes and music. How could you stand against Thatcher when you were supporting the capitalist system by getting a job?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Marchons, marchons...

17. Nealswife

Can't survive in squats alone, nor the streets - if you posses anyhting, then you need to have a place to keep it. If you are vulnerable, then you need shelter and protection....it's not so simple as saying it's rebellion because you don't buy in to the system - what happens when you are ill? How did you get an education or even have a laptop to be here? If you were on the streets, then it's impossible not to have some form of conventional life and provision.
    Sleeping on the beach was great - but I had to work to pay to get there and to eat...by working (mostly washing dishes for free food thrown in!) Love the Utopian liberal life but someone has to pay for it....unless you can go back to tribal life - even then, it has to be negotiated and agreed for everyone int he tribe....there will be a leader who will tell you what to do, for sure.

Equality for all - not likely.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

How eloquently and poetically put.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

This thread reminds me of the tale of the lion (or tiger) and the disabled fox.

There's too much mention of god in the original text for my liking, but the moral is useful.

20. Jude Fawley

colpee likes this.