1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

don't get hive

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I know I have said this several times down the years, but this really is the worst piece of crip I have ever had the misjudgement to lumber myself with.

7 years after it was inflicted on us, we still have absolutely no control over our thermostat, even standing right next to it.

The exorbitant cost of constantly replacing the batteries, and the hours and hours and hours and hours and hours I have spent coaxing it into a tiny modicum of cooperation.

Batteries were changed two days ago. ******** thing has failed again. Now can't rthe heating off.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

You are not having much luck this week. :(
    How is the flood/leak?
    On the bright side, the heat will dry out the wet areas. Hopefully. :)
    I hope you get it fixed soon, Corvus and I hope you don't have a third household disaster. Fingers crossed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’d say the same about Ring doorbells. We have to change the battery every couple of days. We have two and they are rechargeable, but it is a real pain.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Mind you, not half as bad as what you have outlined regarding Hive. Good luck moving forward with it all!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax20

yep, we still have leaks, which is why I wanted the heating on for a bit. Now that awful "hive" gimmick is preventing me from being able to go to bed. AGAIN.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You have two front doors requiring doorbells or do you have a backup for when one battery runs out?

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

That's where having a dog comes in handy, as it will always know which door needs opening.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Corvuscorax20

What I have discovered is there is no situation so stressful that Hive can't make it worse. I have hated it more and more every passing year. I fantasise about taking a hammer to it, but smashing it to smithereens wouldn't even begin to relieve my feelings about it. I am going to have to get it out of the house, whatever it costs. And the quotes I have had to replace it with a normal, functioning thermostat have been eyewatering.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

P,ease tell me it has a manual overide. Our new apartment (should we ever take possession) has it and to be honest I do not want to run anything important from an app on a phone.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Corvuscorax20

no, and I never installed it on my phone, I am just trying to use the thermostat as a thermostat. Nothing fancy

12. needabreak

Nest is ok and there are others on the market, shame you found out the hard way, is the product guarantee finished?

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

To install a new one should be no more than 2 hours I believe from my plumber friend, that's a new hive smart meter. The labour depends on the labour charge. Many charge £150-250 a day. So should be pro-rata.
    he didn't suggest an alternative to replace him, But if it's a non-smart system then a standard thermostat shouldn't cost too much.
    An electrician might do the job as well if only thermostat installation.
    Also if you have home insurance see if it is covered by the insurance.or did you have breakdown cover in place for your system?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do you use Nest?

15. needabreak

I have, then I.moved.

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The trouble with almost any product marketed as 'smart' is that it usually isn't. Developers focus more on the networking and 'app' side of things without ensuring (or often understanding) the quality requirements of the main hardware.

Disappointing user experiences, network security issues and breaches of privacy are all too often the result - and all at increased cost.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

To where? Why?

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Soon, with all these automated things and deliveries to the door, we will all be like the people on board the spaceship ark in the film Wall-E.

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have a sort of flat panel thing that is built into my door, and people bang their hand on it to announce their arrival. We call it 'knocking'.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Having all that 'control' over your heating feels like something that no one needs. Our comes on and off at the times we have chosen, and if we're too cold or too hot we can press s button and change it. That's all the control I want. I don't ever want to be thinking about what my heating's doing, especially when I'm not in the house! My sister got a hive/nest type thing. Her son, who lives elsewhere, got the app and kept turning her heating on and off at random times.