1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't encourage him to debate . . .

Discussion in 'Independent' started by TheoGriff, Nov 22, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not that he does, of course.
    Interesting to see, from his Blogspot, the Bibliography that he uses:
    <h3 class="post-title entry-title">Bibliography </h3>Bibliography &ndash; Public schools
    Boys Together - English Public Schools 1800 - 1864: Hutchinson.
    First reprint: Lone Arrow Press.
    : Penguin Books.
    : The Falmer Press.
    Honey,J.R de S. (1977) Tom Brown's Universe: Millington Books.

Second edition: Routledge.
    : Constable.
    : Faber and Faber.
    : Short Books.
    Richards, J. (1988) Happiest days - The public schools in English fiction: Manchester University Press.

: Lawrence and Wishart.
    : Macmillan.
    Walford, G. (1986) Life in Public Schools: Methuen.

: Woburn Press.
    Weiner, M (2004 2nd edition) English Culture and the Decline of the Industrial Spirit 1850 - 1980: Cambridge University Press.
    I am not going to post on his threads any more; they are too boring.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not that he does, of course.
    Interesting to see, from his Blogspot, the Bibliography that he uses:
    <h3 class="post-title entry-title">Bibliography </h3>Bibliography &ndash; Public schools
    Boys Together - English Public Schools 1800 - 1864: Hutchinson.
    First reprint: Lone Arrow Press.
    : Penguin Books.
    : The Falmer Press.
    Honey,J.R de S. (1977) Tom Brown's Universe: Millington Books.

Second edition: Routledge.
    : Constable.
    : Faber and Faber.
    : Short Books.
    Richards, J. (1988) Happiest days - The public schools in English fiction: Manchester University Press.

: Lawrence and Wishart.
    : Macmillan.
    Walford, G. (1986) Life in Public Schools: Methuen.

: Woburn Press.
    Weiner, M (2004 2nd edition) English Culture and the Decline of the Industrial Spirit 1850 - 1980: Cambridge University Press.
    I am not going to post on his threads any more; they are too boring.

3. Where are the modern or contemporary accounts of public school life - academic or biographical?
    I can't find them. If you know of any I'd be interested. Raises the question why.
    Shame not to debate, I carefully research material.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

In the same place as the modern accounts of maintained school life?

Having experienced both, I can assure you they are very similar - after all, the kids are pretty much the same, they all watch X-factor, all have iPods, etc.

(OK, behaviour tends to be better in Independents and class sizes are smaller, but that's rather what the parents are paying for.)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I see that folks are taking this advice to heart . . .

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, and I recommend that his latest diatribe here continues to be ignored. As usual, he's cross-posted the whole thing to the Opinion forum, where his misunderstandings have been well discussed, so no need to repeat any of it in this forum.

7. PaulDG

In Harry Potter 7, it's revealed that Petunia Dursley's hate of Hogwarts came from when she was turned down by it.

One wonders if there's a parallel here somewhere.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wonder if he'll take the hint . . .

9. Does anyone ever debate anything here?
    Redundant forum?

10. florian gassmann

Yes, but posting the same material to two different forums is a very bad idea. Instead of generating a proper debate, you will either find everyone having to post and read twice, which is very annoying, or you risk people missing half of the points made because none of us have time to read every forum on this website.
    This forum has traditionally been for queries about working in the independent sector, and most of us who posty here are committed to independent education as it is the sector in which we work or have worked.
    Your posts seem to be more about questioning whether the independent sector should exist. Such opinions are perfectly valid, but would be better confined to the Opinion forum.

11. But it is so hard not to join in when he posts such utter ****!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have a mince pie, everyone, as a reward for resisting the temptation to debate . . .
    And to celebrate the end of term!
    [​IMG]
    Have a good Christmas and New Year, everybody!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

13. florian gassmann

According to the TES staff post, "Theo will be busy peeling the sprouts ... for a few weeks". [​IMG]
    As Terry Wogan always used to say, you need to get the sprouts on in September for a traditional Christmas lunch, so I do hope Theo's not left it all too late.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well I'll tell you one thing, Pooky.
    You won't want to buy the songs.
    I used to be very careful in Assembly to take one large step sideways away from the mic after announcing the hymn number.
    Florian: if I don't peel'em, we don't have'em.
    Mrs TG is Spanish. Spanish wives Don't Do Sprouts.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

15. Do you need to be a sycophant to attend?

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Are you angling for an invite?

17. Merry Christmas to everyone (including the 'poor and needy children' - Eton's foundation statement) in the 'Independent' sector-
    * 'charitable' status
    * tax exempt
    * pensions subsidised
    * Lottery funded
    * State sponsored
    Bit worrying the lack of intellectual debate, but when you've studied the history of public schools...
    As for Mr Griff's 'don't debate with him you'll only encourage him' it's a bit like the headteacher telling his pupils not to listen to anyone who questions their privileged, cloistered, cossetted existence. As good conformists all the children obey.
    Rather concerned as well about Mr Griff highjacked my post to advertise his job shindig. Poor form indeed! And no, I won't be getting out my sleeping bag and queuing up.
    So Happy New Year and doubtless Cameron (Eton), Clegg (Westminster) and Osborne (St Paul's) will be getting out the wrecking ball for state education.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Doesn't give up, does he?____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    There is also a Weekend Workshop on applications on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

19. PaulDG

The latest 2 are real gems!

20. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hasn't been around for a little while, wonder if he's ok? [fake concerned smiley]