1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Don't drink too much at the staff Christmas party

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You never know where you might end up.

2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

The sad thing is we have no party, no staff do, and MANY are going home on Thursday not bothering with the pub. Morale is at an all time low. I will be pubbing but looks like I will be home early so someone will be pleased.... or not!!
    It’s not the job it once was. There is no social element to the staff at all.

BetterNow and fosterpaul like this.
  3. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Christmas do safety rules.
    Never talk to your bosses.
    Never give them the benefit of your opinion on any work related matters.
    Never offer feedback on anything.

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

That’s very cynical ... but yeah you’re right!

les25paul likes this.
  5. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Christmas do-called we got daggers from them on the "posh" table. We must've been doing something right!

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Works Christmas dos !

I used to avoid most (both in teaching and non-teaching jobs) like the plague, since you have two options.

The safe one is you stay sober or drink very little. After a few polite conservations you find you have little in common other then work. So that is what you end up talking about. You might find a fellow "sufferer" when you can lighten up a little but keeping a wary eye incase a "boss" joins your conversation. Generally a pretty dull evening and at a time of year when there's often a better social event to go to.

Or you get boozed up, there is always a few who do so you can join their group. But the next day at work is painful when you remember that you have; revealed which work colleagues you think are "hot or not", told your line manager what you really think of the new top boss (or vica verca) and that your "five year plan" really involves packing in the job to buy a Harley Davidson and cruise route 66 instead of getting the next stage in promotion.

One of the few exceptions to avoidable works do is a military Christmas do, but your head doesn't half hurt the next day (and the one after that)

fosterpaul, JohnJCazorla and Laphroig like this.
  7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I invariably took option 2

les25paul likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I don't feel so bad about the days when we used to roll the cleaner down the yard in a 200l barrel now.

Didn't half shift.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I retired on Dec 31 2010. I broke all three.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I sang "These boots are made for walking" at one of our Christmas dos. Pointing at the HT at the end of the chorus may not have been diplomatic.

11. ilovesooty

PS I was sober.

jumblyjack, vannie and Didactylos4 like this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Excellent :D

ilovesooty likes this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm an absolute lightweight where drinking is concerned because I cannot abide the feeling of the rotating room!!

It meant that I was able to observe how others were affected. Not that I ever reminded folks. ;)

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As did I. The medical physics dept Christmas parties became a legend for several years, partly because an eminent consultant had bequeathed a sum of money to the hospital to be spent on Christmas parties for the staff, and partly because we had the right mix of people at the time to make them fun.

And we had a boss who could be tapped for a few quid to extend the amount spent on booze and not attend.

Everyone turned to in bringing the party food, and it was fun to work out what to do with it. For example, I remember a girl cooking a large bowl of rice and bringing an array of veg to mix in with it, but not giving a thought that we lacked the facilities to mix them with.

I wiped away her tears and was able to convince her we could do it in a dustbin liner and she told me she loved me. When she produced the tin of pineapple slices instead of chunks to go with the cheese and broke into tears again, because we didn't have a cutting board or a suitable knife. I said "We can do this girl," took a table knife to the grinstone to sharpen it and sliced the the rings into pieces inside the tin.

I remember she asked if she could be the first in the queue to marry me.

After I left the NHS to start my own business, I was intent of letting my staff having Christmas parties they could enjoy and invited the companies and their staff to them as well, as they did my sweetheart and I, but not our staff.

I learned quite a lot from that. Firstly I learned that my customers' staff looked forward to our parties more than they did to their employers' parties, which cost far more than our did and were both far too stuffy and everyone helt the need to be on their best behaviour.

Those who had husbands were expected to bring their partners along and related tales of complaints about their husbands hating to get dressed up for a boring evening. Ours wer all about letting their hair down.

We had our team Christmas party last week. The housing association donated fifteen quid to it and the decision was made among the team to go for a serve yourself Chinese meal, which allowed nine quid for the meal and six quid to spend on drink. If you needed more drink, that was up to us.

Since the team extends from Southampton to Selsey, most were on soft drinks, so they could drive home and since the restaurant only sold lager. I was content to abstain as well albeit I'd gone and returned by taxi.

What I remember about our hospital parties were the requests from all the other depts asking about the date we would be holding it and whether they'd be getting an invite. That and when Thatcher's reform henchmen put the mockers on them.

Those parties probably moved medical science on a long way, since they enable people from all disciples to interact socially and break down the barriers that would otherwise have led them to be protective of their professional status. The Thatcher mob thought it gave the wrong impression, and the start of the decline in a world-leading hospital began.

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

One bloke at my old school drank way too much at the godawful 'prom', ended up almost legless, went out into the car park and tried to get in his car. Loads of kids about. Head came out and tried to stop him, cue a very public disagreement about how he was actually fine to drive... wasn't in the next day either. Survived with just a telling off.

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Once, I worked in a catholic school, with a high proportion of Irish staff, who really knew how to keep Christmas. The students would have a Christmas lunch in the canteen in the late morning and then were sent home at about midday. The staff then had their Christmas dinner with wine and all the trimmings, followed by an end of term party in the staff room, after which those still conscious would go to the pub around the corner for some serious boozing.

In my last school, until it became an academy, the last day of the Christmas term was the same: Christmas dinner in the canteen, followed by a knees-up in the staffroom. For a couple of years, in the early 'Noughties', the school had a Christmas do at a hotel but riotous behaviour by some staff meant that the school became persona non grata with local hostelries. Once the staffroom disappeared, so did the end of term jollities (or any jollities, come to that)..

17. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I hate parties where I walk into a room and don't know the people well - as in the case of some office parties. Last week I went to an evening "get-together" with friends who have been in my life for 30 years and who I know really really well. Over the 30 years we have met together every fortnight in one another's homes, and over a small drink we have discussed everything we can think of and we have had lovely outings and meals out together. This is so very different to going into a room where you do not know people well, and drinking several alcoholic drinks is needed to make you feel more at ease and horrible the next day.

18. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

Above all, never finish a sentence which begins with the words "You know what your problem is, don't you? well, let me tell you......."

JosieWhitehead and ilovesooty like this.
  19. ilovesooty

This has reminded me of a Christmas party some years ago with my current company. It was held at a venue where several parties were taking place. I found my way to a large group of pre dinner minglers and assumed my colleagues must be in a far corner of the massive room as I didn'
    know anyone.
    I spent a good half hour having conversation with strangers until they were called to their meal. It then transpired that I'd invaded a party of teachers...
    When I found my party in another room they were halfway through the first course.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

MrsLan and I went to mine together... safer that way.