1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Done

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by jmcbroom1, Feb 7, 2016.

1. jmcbroom1

jmcbroom1 New commenter

Like a lot of teachers out there I am finding the expectations and work load ridiculous. I have no work life balance and have lots the enjoyment in the job that I started with.

I'm posting today for advice on what I can do next. I need to be out of schools for a while.

Thanks in advance

2. annelda72

annelda72 New commenter

In workplace dilemmas there is a post called something like 'other careeres'. Might be useful. Good luck!

3. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

I'd like to know this too...my experiences have left me feeling deskilled and useless.

I'm fed up with the, "That's how teaching is," or, "It's the same for everyone," responses when I mention that it is stressful and workload is too high to have a meaningful work/life balance.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've handed in my notice and am going on supply so I can pick and choose when/where I work and I don't have the add on dross to deal with.
    So far I've been able to pick and choose, name my price and I'm fully booked until July.
    Might not always be this way, but I'm happy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Scott94

Scott94 New commenter

Which agency are you with if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at joining supply too

6. kimt1970

kimt1970 New commenter

Well done. So glad you have made this change and are happy. I have started running my own business alongside my teaching job. I never thought I would ever find anything like this. Eventually it will replace my teaching salary and then I will be able to leave teaching for good. Can't wait, so much happier now.

7. kimt1970

kimt1970 New commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  8. chc

chc New commenter

I've been a supply teacher for 8 years, after 10 years teaching full time. I love it! I'm financially worse off but have so much more time, energy and sanity for the other things in my life. I can't recommend it highly enough!

pepper5 and frangipani123 like this.
  9. missteach2005

missteach2005 New commenter

I resigned from my post a week before the Feb half term and started supply after the holidays. The best thing I have ever done! After over 10 years in this profession yes the workload is just unmanageable and I refuse to let this job ruin my life. I could not justify sacrificing my life for the benefit of others. It is a selfish approach but the impact it was having on my personal life it was me or the job. The job lost out.

Since supplying I have found a renewed vigour for the job and the past experiences were clearly not healthy for me. It is amazing how your views can change when you escape a negative situation.

Good luck, I wish you well.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi there all you super supplies! It is so refreshing to read about teachers enjoying supply. If you have time or the interest please pop over to the supply forum and join in some of the discussions or start new ones.