1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Donaldson report means changes to school structure

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by iolajo245, Mar 12, 2017.

1. iolajo245

iolajo245 New commenter

I am a head of dept currently who finds myself in a situation where the governors have decided to get rid of all heads of dept and replace them with 6 people who correspond to the findings of the Donaldson report i.e. Technology Science and ICT in one department. We find ourselves now (6 people) having to defend our roles as separate heads, or alternatively all having to re-interview for one job - which entails much more than being head of department. Does anyone else find themselves in this situation?

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Key question: what do you want?

Either:
    1) Apply for this post (It sounds like you can't change the new model. If you can work with it, then go for it)
    2) Apply for other jobs (A way for you to take control of your situation as you deem it untenable and have a fresh start)

wanet and (deleted member) like this.
  3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

One of the first things that happened when we became an academy was this type of reorganisation. It does not work and the academy failed, got taken over by another trust and changed it all back again to the original structure. Look at it for what it is - they are looking to get rid of staff. As Trendy Art says go with it or better get out.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The school i'm at as supply is about to announce a teaching staff re-organisation and a reasonable guess is that it will be something similar. Or redundancies. Or both.
    @applecrumblebumble is there an example of this failure of re-organisation that won't involve revealing your identity? That is something already in the public domain. It's fairly rare to have an academy admitting its uselessness.

Then again

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

All I can say is that when they tried it we has maths, science and technology run by one manager and english, mfl and re run by another manager and I thing it was humanities, art, drama, music by another manager. The issues that cropped up were the inequality in the number of staff to be managed, the lack of subject expertise and the bahavoiur management which became unmanageable.
    When Ofsted came.in it was obvious to them that the managers did not have a sound knowledge of the progress of pupils. This was the start of a slide to RI and then Inadequate. It just irritated me that some many experienced HODs lost their jobs and the pupils were being experimented on by a head who thought constant change was good. I do not know of other schools where this has been done but a conversation with teachers union would probably enlighten you.