1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump's state visit to the UK set for 3 June

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 23, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Since when did two wrongs make a right? Putin should not have been treated to a state visit either. And all the other tin pot dictators who have come. We have to start somewhere.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Both Putin and Trump were elected head of state by the voters of their countries, unlike the head of state of the United Kingdom.

burajda likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It doesn't look like Trump will have much company when he attends the state dinner, as a number of senior politicians have declined their invites. Perhaps their places can be offerred to leading podiatrists, who can advise over dinner how to avoid a recurrence of the agony his heel spurs gave, should he be obliged to stand on a former battlefield and had flashbacks to the thought of being drafted.

4. florian gassmann

Three, so far, I believe - but I doubt there will be any shortage of businessmen and city financiers happy to take their places.

LondonCanary likes this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And your point?

6. florian gassmann

That Corbyn and Cable are effectively snubbing the choices of the people of America and Russia as their elected leaders of their respective countries. Not that I thought either Corbyn or Cable (or Bercow, for that matter) ever had much in the way of manners, but they might at least remember that the peoples of the USA and Russia are among our more important trading partners - just snubbing their leaders is not an attractive attribute - but, as I said, I'm sure British businessmen will be pleased to fill their vacant seats and probably do more for this country than these rude, failed politicians will ever manage.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    burajda and lanokia like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And it just happens that we have to start with the elected head of state of our principle ally of the last 100 years as he visits to represent his nations sacrifice 75 years ago?

Or did you make this point when Putin and the tin-pot crowd had their visits and I just missed it?

artboyusa likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Compared to our future Head of State who has a chestful of military medals and will at least look the part on any former battlefield.
    [​IMG]

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Will Mr Farage be there?

10. florian gassmann

No. Only the great and the good are invited.

burajda likes this.
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Yes I did. I write to the Queen and my MP every time she is involved with these scum. Of course it has had little effect, but only to be expected.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I don't see this as an explanation of your comparing Trump and Putin to the Queen.

13. florian gassmann

The comparison is that all three are head of state in their respective countries. Is that clearer?

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

He was not a white American so not a target.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

All those medals and no action.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Judging by many of the posters on here the lunatics 'think' they are in charge of the asylum.
    I am surprised Trump and/or his advisers have not told us to go away and breed. Maybe next time we 'need' them they might be otherwise engaged and it would serve us right.

burajda likes this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, but two are heads of state with enormous power and one is just a figurehead and does not get involved in politics.

18. florian gassmann

So? Does that mean the queen must not host visits from heads of state who are political leaders? No visits from Macron, Merkel, Varadkar, or most of the world's elected leaders?

lexus300 likes this.