1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump's state visit to the UK set for 3 June

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

It makes me angry to,think of the environmental impact those 3 days will have when he and his entourage, cars etc will be flown over. With the technology now available such as Skype I don't feel a state visit is acceptable.

TCSC47 and nomad like this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

bit like Corbyn and May! lol

3. oldsomeman

Whilst I don't like the man you do have to remember he comes with a cortege of advisors and politicians. We need to build up a working relationship with his nation. We as a nation are still reliant upon American aid and assistance.
    State visits are useful in it allows our politicians and civil service to talk to his and possible figuring out what is going on in his head and rants. You snub a powerful leader of a nation at your own cost!

lexus300 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Nobody knows what goes on in his head.

He has about a 40% approval rate - he may well get another term but it will be very messy if he does as the Democrats may well get control of both houses.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

We get it that you love Trump. Indeed it constantly surprises me that you don't rush back to the US to worship him.

But a lot of us think he's sexually creepy, financially compromised and racist. His presence at the D Day commemorations demeans the sacrifices of all those who died..

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

He is still the leader of a nation which contributed to the victory over Nazi occupation during the 2 WW. True many might not like his personal politics or charisma but he represents America and its contribution to the fight. In that sense, he has to be viewed as a symbol of those who gave their lives for a cause, although personally I really do not think he represents the American peoples in character and sacrifice.

7. FrankWolley

Given the question marks over his election 'victory' as well as his personality, l disagree. Just remember his comments about John McCain, a true hero. And, of course, Trump was a proven coward...

TCSC47 likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

So we don't have a 'Special Relationship' already? What more should we do to be more bigly special?
    How are we reliant on their aid and assistance?
    Yes. Agree with this point.

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Have you taken a foreign holiday in the last couple of years or been on many car journeys to visit friends and family in other parts of the country or world? Personal one to one meetings are important and technology can't replicate that but I'm sure the PM and Trump and other leaders use electronic communication for most of their dealings with each other. Would a Skype link be really appropriate for the D-Day commemorations?

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It would if Greta Thunberg gets her way. No flights after 2025 - if the POTUS can't use Skype he'll just have to paddle a canoe across the Atlantic.

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think Prince Philip should give him a lift to the palace.

TCSC47, blazer, knitone and 4 others like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On that basis Putin should be invited for a state visit too. Stalin's USSR accounted for around 75% of German land force casualties in WW2 between 1941 and 1945. US land forces fought the Germans in Europe for 11 months, by comparison, as significant as their contribution to victory was.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Putin has already had a state visit to the UK:

upload_2019-4-24_17-34-15.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Oh dear. Some people really do struggle to understand words, don't they?
    I wasn't talking about Trump, Frank. I'm not obsessed. I was responding to your exceptionally crass and ignorant comment about D Day.

lexus300 likes this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

If you actually remembered his comments about McCain, Frank, you'd remember that McCain called Trump voters "crazies" and Trump was defending them.
    Whatever McCain was in Vietnam, he was something very different later.

lexus300 likes this.
  16. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The Mueller Report gave clear evidence of at least ten instances of Trump obstructing justice. What's he done since the Report? He's refusing to respond to Democrats' instructions to hand over his tax details, as all Presidents before him have done; he's suing Democrats for requesting old tax returns and he's instruction senior officials to appear before Congress and testify. He's obstructing justice in plain sight! With any luck Trump will be in no condition to disgrace these shores in June - he will be too busy fire-fighting the legal repercussions of his actions back home!

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"...at least ten instances of Trump obstructing justice". Really? Then I wonder why charges were not filed.
    "...as all presidents before him have done". Nope. Only presidents since 1976.

lexus300 likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I doubt it. It'll slide off him like everything else. Teflon Trump.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Because Mueller said that the proper legal recourse for a president is impeachment and wouldn't be trying to bring charges.

20. FrankWolley

I think you've forgotten what Trump actually said about John McCain...

TCSC47 likes this.