1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump's state visit to the UK set for 3 June

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 23, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He may have those plans too.

"Et tu, Donaldus?"

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"Welcome to No.10, Mr Ceausescu":

upload_2019-4-23_17-24-29.jpeg

"Don't say a word, Philip; pretend it's not Mugabe"

upload_2019-4-23_17-25-44.jpeg

artboyusa, nomad and burajda like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The EU is a far more important trade partner, run by far more serious and trustworthy allies. And D Day is about our shared European history, not about POTUS.

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Without the Americans D-Day wouldn't have happened and the history of Europe would be radically different. Like him or not, he represents their country right now and American soldiers died giving their lives for the freedom Europe now enjoys [and Russia too before anyone goes off on that one].

And if people want to protest him then they can ... of course... we are a free country after all...

lexus300, Jamvic, oldsomeman and 4 others like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

President Xi of China got to address both chambers of Parliament... and look at what he's up to in Xinjiang.

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yep, but we'll want a great trade deal with China too, Britain first and Nepal and Xinjiang not even second.. Britain is great at negotiating international deals and I'm sure the Chinese will not be able to roll such a powerful nation as us over like they did the Swiss.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

You are right, @burajda - but I fear the difference with Trump is this -
    - he will be unable NOT to make it all about him.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

At least your average despot realises it's not an opportunity to ramble on about whatever happens to be passing through their mind at the time and even they tend not to go in for public spats or criticism of British politicians.

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The majority of the USA are aghast at this tw@. They will welcome any input we could bring to denigrate him. He is a disgrace to democracy and his nation.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Actually he could go at just about anytime, it is usually empty.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes. We may need US as a trade partner. But we need Saudi too.
    Hmmmm.....

Now, I was not happy about that blimp over parliament last time. I'd have been delighted to fly it over my own home as a private individual but I think any repeat of such behaviour would demean us on a state visit.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I don't think it is a majority. Those that love him seem to do so without question whilst those that hate him do so with a passion. I reckon it is about 50:50. I can seriously see him being re-elected in 2020

nomad likes this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

What the so-called 'progressives' of the US still don't seem to have fully assimilated is that, leaving aside Trump's objectionable personality, there's still ain't that much to choose from between his policies and traditional democrat ones.
    Wtih Sanders back in full campaign mode and with the rise to prominence of Ocasio-Cortez and also the current early campaigning of Elizabeth Warren, the dialogue may change slightly but it's hard to see a real shift in policy happening.

14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The problem with being a democratic and civilised country (and we are compared to many others) is that we need to be diplomatic towards others, even half witted fools.

Don't forget that the US is a ally of ours even if their current leader is an ally of no one but himself. He will soon be gone but the US will be around for a while yet so we would be wise to maintain a good relationship,.

Rather then think about the clown remember instead all those who bravely served their country and those of their allies during the D-day landings.

bombaysapphire and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Oh, is it REALLY?
    Maybe you'd like to tell them that. Sharing your European history didn't do much for them, now did it?
    upload_2019-4-23_20-19-8.jpeg

alexei_yanovich likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

I am depressingly forced to agree.
    I usually watch that Bill Maher show on Atlantic. He's right that the Democrats are their own worst enemies.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I agree. D Day is being celebrated for what it was. The beginning of the end of an evil regime, the bravery of those who took part in the landings and those who didn't make it.

Trump as President of the USA will be taking part to represent the people of America. The fact we'd prefer it wasn't him doing that job is irrelevant. If the truth is told, the majority of British citizens would rather not be represented by the leader of one of the worse governments we've ever had either, but can you imagine the anger if a British leader was told their attendance was unwelcome?

D Day represents a lot more than here today, gone tomorrow political leaders. It wasn't just the start of the end for the Nazis. It's success was the combined synergy of a host of nations working together for world peace.

The spin off from defeating Hitler was the idea that forming an economic union between nations would prevent the horrors of another world war occurring and we should all be grateful to have lived our lives in far greater security than our parents and grandparents were able to.

If and when we get to vote in a second referendum, that's what everyone ought to be voting for. The economic BS is secondary to the prospect that a divided Europe exposes our children, not just to relatively innocuous fruitcakes like Rees Mogg, Farage et al, it exposes them to to the danger that real nutters can put them in when nations are not ecomomically bound together.

nomad and chelsea2 like this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

On a separate matter, I did a search for D Day celebrations and was rewarded with a list of festivities organised to take place around the date. Apparently it's a good time to taste Cavados and take the opportunity to look at the Bayeux tapestry. A good time to visit Portsmouth Dockyard and see what's left of the Mary Rose.

Every shopkeeper and his dog will be making the most of the occasion to make money from the event, without a care for what the occasion represents.

You can bet your life that if you go into a stationer's and ask if they've got any bulldog clips, they'll be asking "Do you mean like Winston Churchill ones? No sorry, we've sold out, but I've got some videos of a nutty Jack Russell that will amuse your kids."

It's depressing to think that in twenty five years time, the D day landing centenary celebrations that marked the downfall of the Nazi regime will coincide with the 25 year celebrations of the start of breaking up the European Union, which prevented the rise of other nationalist fruitcakes taking control, ain't it?

19. Aquamarina1234

Can we be dignified?

20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Trump lost the popular vote. Clinton actually got more votes than Trump but due to their strange -- and it is strange -- electoral system Trump got the presidency. And every thing I have heard from America indicates that he is the most unpopular president with a new low after the Muella report. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...esville-low-after-mueller-report-release-poll
    Irrespective of whether he wins the next presidential election, the majority of the country do not want him. He does have his fan following but they are a rag bag of dissenters, racists and the ignorant. The real wealth creators in the USA do not want him. If we wish to increase our trade with America, having given up our European links, it is these people we should be pandering to, not the likes of the Orange Clown and his KK followers.