1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump's state visit to the UK set for 3 June

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 23, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Donald Trump will make a three-day state visit to the UK from 3 to 5 June, Buckingham Palace has announced. He will be a guest of the Queen and attend a ceremony in Portsmouth to mark the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. He will also hold talks with the prime minister at Downing Street.

I hope we, as a country, don't spend too much entertaining him.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Let him address parliament

At 3 am on Sunday morning when nobody is there.

nomad and BetterNow like this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My sympathies to the queen.

BelleDuJour, Jamvic, knitone and 9 others like this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Dear The Donald
    Please don't come. You are a liar, a cheat, a misogynist, an appeaser and sycophant of dictators and bullies, a failed businessman, a half rated (if that even) TV personality, egotistical, and only interested in what you personally can get out of being POTUS, a con artist, and pretty much every thing that is considered to be sub human. You have dishonoured your family and nation. You clearly demonstrate no respect for people other than yourself and we have no respect for you. Don't come to the UK. We don't want to see you here.
    Yours
    TCSC47

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Forgot racist.

knitone, nomad, MissGeorgi and 3 others like this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Time to blow the dust off the Trump-in-a-nappy blimp!

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Perhaps we could invite Jacinda Ardern at the same time. He might learn something.

Oh, I forgot. It's got the brain-power and morals of a particularly under-achieving amoeba.

So he and Boris should get on very well.

Oh, I forgot. They already DO!

Jamvic, Laphroig, MissGeorgi and 2 others like this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

She'll probably be on auto-pilot:

"Good afternoon, Mr Trump, what do you do? Have you come far?" :rolleyes:

Jamvic, nomad, sbkrobson and 4 others like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Was he not there only a few months ago?

BetterNow likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

He probably thinks D-day stands for Donald day.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The powers that be obviously learned their lesson after last time. 6 weeks notice, no time for parliamentary petitions. Odd that it's happening now, I imagine he's possibly even less popular than he was at the time of the last visit.

Fly him into the Tower, he can stay in the dungeon, that will help reduce security costs and stop him getting out, probably no phone signal so he can have a break from tweeting.

BetterNow, InkyP and TCSC47 like this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Arrest him. Keep him locked up for as long as possible. Then deport him... maybe to Mexico ;)

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It would seem, according to the news, that they have only now managed to agree a date for him to come.He wont ride down the Mall in an open coach as his security team are fearful of him being potted off.
    Maybe extinctions chance to delay him on the route?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I cannot think of a better analogy than if the Queen fell in a septic tank: i.e. going through the motions.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No, no, no, he should not come here!

BelleDuJour, InkyP and TCSC47 like this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Hang on a minute everyone, despite what we all think of Trump, this is a state visit for the democratically elected president of our most important single trading partner and most significant military ally. Its all about the post not the man. Our country and our businesses need all the friends and good will we can get at the moment. D Day was a significant event in Commonwealth, American and European history and its quite right that the American president should be here to mark the event.
    We've rolled out the red carpet for real despots in the past.

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The Tories are about stab her in the back, front and side..... I wonder who the PM will be in June?

ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  18. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

I suspect BJ will be dying to meet him.

19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The 75th anniversary of D Day is indeed an important event - too important to be ruined by having Trump giving a speech which puts himself first, veterans second and the fallen on that day a distant third. It would be OK if POTUS could be relied upon to competently deliver a decent speech written by someone else, but he just can't - he'd start his off-the-cuff riffing about Hillary's emails, Obama or the iniquitous Mueller Inquiry. It's a disgrace that the President of the United States can't be relied upon to do the simplest of jobs.

20. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Good. Anything that gets the limp wristed progressives crying and screeching is fine by me.

artboyusa likes this.