1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Donald Trump.....a walking scam.”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Katzenjammer, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Says it all.

"Democrats seized on claims that President Trump paid only $750 in income tax in his first year in the White House and nothing at all in ten of the previous 15 years, contrasting his tax bills with those of ordinary Americans. Within hours of the New York Times publishing stories based on a leak of decades of the president’s returns, Joe Biden's campaign released an advert comparing Mr Trump’s $750 federal income tax payments with the averages paid by teachers, firefighters and nurses: $7,239, $5,283 and $10,216 respectively."

Source, The Times, 28.ix.20

coffeekid likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think Trump's lack of tax has already been covered, although inappropriately, under dictatorship.

artboyusa and Kandahar like this.
  3. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

So? we shouldn't cover it again?

coffeekid and cissy3 like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Was enough to make make me click "show ignored comment" and yes, we should.

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

As if that wasn't enough, a C4 news investigation revealed today:

''Trump campaign strategy to deter millions of Black Americans from voting in 2016''

https://www.channel4.com/news/revea...llions-of-black-americans-from-voting-in-2016

''Channel 4 News has exclusively obtained a vast cache of data used by Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign on almost 200 million American voters........''

It involves Cambridge Analytica targetting potential voters with tailored ads.

''Analysis by Channel 4 News shows Black Americans – historically a community targeted with voter suppression tactics – were disproportionately marked ‘Deterrence’ by the 2016 campaign.

In total, 3.5 million Black Americans were marked ‘Deterrence’.''

emerald52 and coffeekid like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Utterly despicable.

emerald52, Sally006 and coffeekid like this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

A non story.

Mr Lanokia dealt with this fake news on another thread...

eamonne1 and artboyusa like this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It is very much a story and a good one for an election campaign. Comparing Trump's boasts of success with his tax returns claiming profitless failures is worth highlighting. Comparing his tax payments and his lifestyle versus tax and life-struggles for low paid workers is worth publishing every day in the run up to an election. All of that, with his vacuous claims that he was going to clean up and "drain the swamp" is worth discussion.

(Actually, the latter might actually might be true, voters just didn't realise he needed to drain the swamp in order to access the sleaziest, filthy scum at the bottom).

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes it has most likely boosted Mr Trump's chances of another win.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I can see that is possible for him to get himself declared the winner of the election. Either through purging of voters off the election role, declaring postal votes null and void or even getting the electoral college to vote him in (there is nothing to say they have to follow the popular vote in their state). It probably helps he has the supreme court on his side now.

If he wins though, could we see attempts from some states to break away from the union or another civil war?

emerald52 likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I know polls aren't to be trusted but every poll I've seen over the last couple(?) of months has been consistently in Biden's favour. I think Trump could win again - he has a core of supporters who would vote him in regardless of literally anything.
    Do the debates start tonight in the U.S? I don't think I'll watch.

12. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

Last US election the polls got it wrong. Same will happen this time. Trump will be elected. Deep down I think the Democrats know this.

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It will be at 2 a.m. in the UK. Not many will be watching live.

coffeekid likes this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I am sure that Ms Markle will be supporting such a move.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I tend to watch these things on Youtube the following day.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'll save everyone the trouble of watching.
    Unless Biden stands there with his flies undone yelling "Death to America!" tomorrow's headlines will be...
    Joe Biden Wins First Presidential Debate

100% guaranteed. They're gonna drag his re-animated carcass over the finish line no matter what.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. common-tater

common-tater New commenter

No representation without taxation!

monicabilongame and christubbs like this.
  18. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Current polls (RealClear Politics - each state's figure is the AVERAGE of the last ten polls conducted in the state):
    Battleground Swing States:
    Wisconsin - Biden +5.5% Biden 49.3 - Trump 43.8
    Florida - Biden +1.1% - Biden 47.8 - Trump 47.7
    Michigan - Biden +5.2% - Biden 49.2 - Trump 44.0
    Pennsylvania - Biden +5.7% - Biden 49.6 - Trump 43.9
    North Carolina Biden +0.5% - Biden 47.1 - Trump 46.6
    Arizona - Biden +2.8% - Biden 48.0 - Trump 45.2
    Minnesota - Biden +9.4% - Biden 50.4 - Trump 41.0
    Ohio - Biden +3.3% - Biden 49.0 - Trump 45.7
    Iowa - Tie - Biden & Trump both on 46.0

Of course polls got it badly wrong in 2016, or at least didn't spot the last minute swing to Trump and failure of Clinton to get out the vote, but have they really got it this badly wrong again?

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

20. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Yes, bit like Labour I think - would rather see Trump re-elected than have a real overhaul of their own party.