1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dominican Republic?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by daisyb123, Jan 30, 2019.

1. daisyb123

daisyb123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently seen a number of schools in DR advertising vacancies for September 2019. I have been looking into international opportunities after five years in the UK academy system(!)

I have done quite a bit of research about DR as an island, as well as the international schools on the island, however, obviously nothing beats first hand experience.

I was wondering, firstly, if anyone had any experience of living in the DR (not necessarily teaching) and what their impressions were

In addition, if anyone has any experience teaching in an international school in DR, I would forever appreciate your insight, advice, tips or tricks!

Thank you so much in advance.

2. S_Lenihan

S_Lenihan New commenter

Hello Daisy,

I have taught at one of the schools advertising. I loved living in the Dominican Republic, but I was going over already knowing that I love the country after visiting for a few years.

In regards to the teaching, I was a Language Support teacher. Unfortunately, this role was not for me as I felt that I was seen more as an aid and not a fellow teacher. I also missed not having my own class of students to build relations with. But the previous Language Support teacher did return to her role once I had left, so it obviously works for some people.

I was 1 of 8 teachers employed that year and half of them still remain nearly 5 years later. The living conditions are good and if you wanted to, you can save from the wages. I took home a bit of saving to the UK. I did not feel like I had missed out whilst saving. I learnt to scuba diver and ate out a lot, whilst exploring the island.

The teachers at the school are very helpful when you arrive and provide plenty of tips in regards to settling in etc.

I believe the south of the Island is Americanised and the school I worked at provided free access to a huge hotel + living complex that is well known to celebrities.

I would recommend applying for the role. The country is amazing and you never know unless you try. The teacher I lived with is now married and has set her life up in the country. Everyone has a different experience.

Feel free to ask any more questions.