1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Domineering Teaching Assistant

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by YesMrBronson, Nov 8, 2011.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Threaten her with your dog - he looks nasty!

2. That's actually the smallest of the four I have, so I could set the pack on her LOL!!

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I totally understand. Last week I had a different TA to usual and it really annoyed me. I was showing pupils a short video clip and told them to hold off their questions until we had seen it as most of them would be answered in the clip. One pupil shouted a question out and as I went to tell him the answer was in the clip, she took it upon herself to stand up and answer the question whilst we all had to wait for her to finish (it probably sounds petty but it annoyed me).

Then I put them into groups and she kept trying to change the groups round because some of them were whining. They are y8, they will whine if they are not in a group with their best friends.

4. Von78: You're right that you do need to sort this asap, or your nerves will be shredded. Is it possible to find time (yeah, I know...) to sit and have a chat with her about who does what in lessons, and what your expectations are? If she is a new (unqualified?) TA, she may think that acting as a second teacher is her job; so you need to let her know exactly what you see as her role. Of course, it needs to be done so as to make her feel that her contribution to the lesson (the contribution you want!) is valued, and that she's not being demoted to skivvy status. If you can keep it positive, friendly and pleasant (think of the way good management handle teachers!) you'll keep your working relationship intact. Good luck!