1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

domestic help required - cleaning glass

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1369, Sep 1, 2011.

1. How do you clean a glass table without it streaking?
    I was cleaning MILs glass coffee table as they come home tomorrow and it was in need of a clean, but I seem to have made it look worse as it is now covered in streaks. It's a black glass coffee table and is very very glossy and reflective. I used a glass & window cleaner spray too.
    She is a bit of a clean freak so I need to find a way to get rid of these streaks. Help! [​IMG]

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I got some glass wipes from Asda that are brilliant for mirrors, so I think they'd be just the ticket for a table.

You just wipe over... and keep wiping and wiping!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

White vinegar and newspaper......honestly! Works a treat and cheap!

4. impis

impis New commenter

Good old fashioned, pink windolene will do the trick. Together with a lint free cloth.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

an e-cloth for glass, all you need is a little water. made my windows sparkly!

6. BelleDuJour

e-cloths are very good! <strike>Mr Belle</strike> Mrs Doubtfire swears by them but he does add half a ton of bleach/polish/Flash/flamethrower...........

7. I can vouch for these too!

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

e-cloths are fabulous. I bought a glass cleaning set in Lakeland. Cheaper, more environmentally friend and I think the windows stay looking cleaner for longer. Well until the dogs go and rub their noses on them anyway!

9. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I too recommend vinegar and newspaper!

10. if dirty, use a lint free cloth and glass cleaner, then polish with ecloth!

11. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I don't use vinegar because I don't like the smell, but once I've cleaned them (usually with a wiondow cleaning spray) I finish off with newspaper to get rid of the streaks.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Windolene & kitchen roll usually does the job for me. I've yet to find anything else that works.

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

he's not one for reading the instructions then, belle?

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Kitchen roll wetted with mixture of vinegar and water.

Polish it with dry newspaper

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

squeegee

16. BelleDuJour

Not that so much as he can't possibly imagine cleaning with just a cloth and water. He has to use something akin to a cross between Domestos and battery acid to be sure it is clean! [​IMG]

17. Thanks for all the responses.
    I haven't been to the shop yet so I tried the newspaper trick and it worked!! I'll know what to do next time I'm cleaning some glass (which won't be anytime soon haha)
    Thank you again [​IMG]

18. Lakeland sell an absolutely brillant window cloth, it comes impregnated with something and is the most effective thing I have ever ever used, highly recommend!!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20165/Window-Sparkle-Cloths