1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dolmades

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Is it really worth making them yourself?
    I did, once - years ago and remember them being a total faff and very time consuming.
    I can get a tin of 8 for just over a Euro in the Turkish section of my local supermarket (tis really easy for us to get Turkish stuff here - get me, I eat halal [​IMG]) - so do I need to feel guilty or should I just continue enjoying?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

In my local "ethnic" shop I can buy tinned dolmades for a similar price, or for £2 I can get a packet of 24 preserved leaves.
    Great I thought - I'll use some and freeze the rest!
    What a mistake; the defrosted leaves crumbled to nothing - I will buy them again if I am making lots of dolmades, but stick to tins otherwise!

3. Yes, henriette, that has been partly my problem - I can get packets of vine leaves but 24 or 48 or even more.
    They are really cheap but I don't need that many dolmades!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Ah, the family specialty! We don't just prepare them in vine leaves but my great-grandmother used to prepare them in peppers, aubergines, courgettes - I even remember watching her preparing them in a sheep's intestine for one family occasion when I was little (sounds revolting but was delish!)
    I would say that it is worth the effort of making it (having only grown up with homemade, of course I would say that!) but I do agree that they take quite a long time to make!