1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing the Primary PGCE @ Oxford Brookes?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sarahocfc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi Kelly.
    I'll be starting in September.
    If you're on Facebook, there's a large group of us who regularly have chats about various things.
    If you'd like to add me as a friend, my email is sarahocfc@me.com.
    I'll be commuting from reading every day - should get boring very quickly.
    Rumour has it, we should be receiving info this week or next.
    X

2. If you get the train to Oxford, you can get a Brookes bus from across the main road, that goes right in to the PGCE campus. It takes about 15/20 minutes I think. I think you can also get cheap bus passes from the uni. :) I'll be coming in from didcot (not doing primary though), but hoping to cycle from the station as there is a nice cycle/walking route from the train station to the campus I have been told.

3. Hi Kelly, I'm not doing Primary but I'm starting at Oxford Brookes in September on Secondary Music.

4. Hi I am on facebook so I searched for Oxford brookes PGCE and I requested to be a friend so I think thats the group you are joined to. I typed in your email address but obv not knowing you it came up with Sarah Cooper.....? I didn't want to add just in case it wasn't you.
    I will be commuting from Maidenhead so not too far from Reading but just as boring!
    Thanks everyone else for your comments.
    x

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I did Primary PGCE at Oxford Brookes this year, so if you have any concerns or questions I might be able to help - just ask!

I commute to campus. They charge a ridiculous amount for a parking permit - I think it was £80 this year! - so be prepared for that.

There's a special bus that runs regularly between Harcourt Hill, Oxford town centre, and the other Oxford Brookes campuses. It runs every half hour during the week, not sure about at weekends.

There is an open day tomorrow with a chance to see the campus and speak to the programme leader, so if you see this message in time you could come along. The day is split into two sessions, both the same so you only need to be here for the morning or the afternoon. The morning sessions begins at 10.15am and the afternoon one at 1.15pm. I don't think there will be any more after that, but if you'd like to come up and look around campus and ask any questions in person, PM me and I'll be happy to show you around :)

Last year they sent information about the course, recommended reading, etc mid-June, so you should be getting it any day now!

6. Kartoshka I have loads of questions lol! I think its just fear of the unknown with me really. I mean ive done a degree so Im aware of the uni life etc but this is just totally different.
    I will be commuting and was aware of paying a fee for the car park so thats ok with me.
    Is there a gym on campus? If so, what's it like? Do you know how much it costs? I had to cancel my gym membership this month because I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up. The gym will serve as an outlet to me only if i have the time though! :)
    Didn't get your message on time so missed the open day but I have someone who is already at Oxford Brookes who is going to show me around but I appreciate the offer thank you.
    I got sent the course information on Saturday - talk about brain overload! There is so much to do and don't know where to start. I need several books just to be getting on with the work they have set to do before September and the total cost of these books has come to £250!! My instincts told me not to bother and buy them cheap or rent them from the library but its not feasable as I need them for the work now. I am looking forward to getting stuck in but I have no idea how I am going to afford the books right now! Was your info pack this jam packed last year?? I have 4 books to read for English alone and thats not including the 4 childrens books they want you to have. : /

7. Kartoshka

There is a leisure centre right next to the student car park with a swimming pool and newly refurbished gym - it's supposed to be very good. Can't say I've ever been in myself as I'm not a gym person, but lots of others on my course are members and I believe you get a very good price as Brookes students.

There were about four pages of course info last year, with a good number of 'recommended' texts, but the main ones were Derek Haylock and Ann Browne - the others were more for background reading. The four children's books for English are so that you can have a discussion in small groups about which you liked, so you definitely don't need to buy those; just try and borrow a couple from your local library so you'll have something to contribute to the discussion.

8. Oh right, sounds great. I will def have to come and take a look around to see whats what. Price wise its got to be better than what I have recently been paying which is £50 a month!
    Well I figured that despite them being so expensive collectively, they will all be useful throughout the course or even when i'm an NQT. I did have a few problems at my last uni with getting books from the library as there was only 3 copies of key texts so they were always out when I wanted to use them. I'll just have to talk to my parents nicely :)
    Where abouts are you commuting from?
    How do you feel about the overall course? Do you feel well supported?

9. Kartoshka

The library is very well stocked and you shouldn't have any issues getting hold of key texts. It's up to you if you want to buy them, but do look for older editions on Amazon or eBay, as you can get those much more cheaply and there's very little difference in many cases between the previous edition and the latest one.

I've enjoyed the course very much and have learned a lot. Of course a lot of how you feel about the PGCE overall is down to your placements, but in terms of uni stuff, Brookes has been a good place to be. At times it's felt like they should have organised assignment deadlines better so as not to be quite so stressful, but it's such a busy year that I think wherever they put them would have been stressful! The teaching staff are all friendly and there's always somewhere you can turn for support, so yes, I do feel well supported.

My top tip is to make sure you keep on top of work - they did tell us that (several times!) at the beginning of the course, but I didn't realise just how quickly the year goes and wasn't as organised as I'd have liked to have been. Pretty much all your uni work will be done by the end of March/beginning of April, with May and June devoted to your final school placement, which is what threw my organisation off, I think - at Christmas I felt like I was only a third of the way through the year when actually, in terms of academic stuff, we were already half done.