1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing squats

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by skills324, Mar 2, 2011.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Why do they make you hurt so much the next day (and even the day after that)? I stretched off before hand etc. I really think I'm gonna have to give this particular exercise a miss as it causes so much pain!!

Anyone else have this problem or can offer any advice?

2. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Why do they make you hurt so much the next day (and even the day after that)? I stretched off before hand etc. I really think I'm gonna have to give this particular exercise a miss as it causes so much pain!!

Anyone else have this problem or can offer any advice?

3. The first indication that my knee catilage was going to die on me was the inability to do anything at the gym requiring weight-bearing on a bent knee (cycles, cross-trainers, step). That was pain at the time though, rather than the next day.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Squats are a weight-bearing exercise and, like most weight/resistance training, it works by causing tiny tears in the muscles. The pain you feel the next day is the muscles repairing those tears. You should NEVER workout whilst experiencing pain.

5. Wall squats are just killers[​IMG] My legs seem to wobble for ages after I've done them with some lunges.

6. Oo-er. Mine used to shake and wobble when I'd finished, and the next day.
    Make an appt to see your GP and explain what is happening and do what s/he suggests. Might be simple not-very-fitness, might be something requiring attention.
    Sorry, sniggering, the year before my cartilage collapsed, i went to the Eiffel Tower. Thinking myself an example to my children i eschewed the lift anf legged it up and down. When i got to the bottom my leg was shaking so uncontrollably we had to get a taxi back to the hotel!

7. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Is it just muscle soreness? What is your squatting technique? Never ever use a Smith Machine when squatting.

8. What's a Smith Machine?

9. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

[​IMG]The bar runs in a fixed plane, not the natural path of each individuals' decent.

10. I use this at the gym, but the squat that I do is a little bit different, I sort of stick my bum out when I squat using the machine. Are you saying we shouldn't use it?