1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing laundry for teens at uni - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Our oldest daughter is going to uni this year, living in halls, but near enough to come home pretty much whenever she wants. My OH has just announced to me that, by the way, he does not expect to see her bringing any of her washing home to mix in with the family load at the weekend, as she shouldn't expect to be getting financial help with accommodation and also get the perks of living at home.
    I think this sounds a very odd and petty thing to be worth taking any sort of stance on, he thinks it is odd that I would be happy to keep on doing whatever washing she might bring back when she is not living at home.
    What do y'all think? What's usual?

2. Do you want her to develop any independence?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Every Hall of Residence of which I am aware has laundry facilities - what possible reason other than extreme laziness can she have for bringing it home?
    Part of the Uni experience is (or should be) developing independence. Treating them like children is unproductive

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Ask the Vice Chancellor if it in with the £9000 deal or no deal.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

she either leaves home or she doesn't. unless it's an emergency, she should do her own washing.

6. I can't see the harm.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

agreed

8. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

If I was going home for a weekend I'd usually take my washing home with me but I did it all myself. I only used the facilities, mum didn't touch it

9. My kids were too far away to come home more often than once a term and did all their own laundry in the meantime, in the built-in washers and dryers that were unheard of in my student launderette day. But they used to bring binbags of dirty washing home at the end of term and Mummy would delightedly wash and iron it for them because her little chickies were back in the nest for a few weeks. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!

10. I am shocked that a young woman who is about to go to university doesn't already do her own washing. My 12 year old does hers - she's just put a load sports and dance kit on.
    However I would be more shocked if any of my children came home from university during term time. I never did, and my OH sometimes didn't bother going home during the holidays either.

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

just allow her 4 pairs of knickers

12. I'm not saying she is planning to do it, it's never come up, until just now between me and the OH. I'm just saying I would prefer not to say at the outset "Don't you go thinking you can bring your laundry home". And in fact it was my perception that uni students do tend to do this when they come back for a weekend, he says I've got it wrong. I was married and running my own household by the time I got to uni...

13. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I don't mind my kids bringing theirs home, where at least it gets done properly. Last yr one lived in a damp flat, her washing took 3 days to dry, and even stuff washed at home eventually smelt damp. Other did wash her stuff sometimes in uni flat, but small flat had no place to hang it to dry, and she has lots of heavy cotton hoodies which shrink in drier, so easier to do it at home.
    I sometimes wash it for them if making up a load of my stuff and adding theirs in, otherwise they do it themselves and I NEVER iron anything for them - the eternally crumpled!!!

14. She should be doing her own washing.

15. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

There were 7 birds to every fellah at my college who needed a washing machine. X

16. I never iron anything for them now. But it wouldn't make sense for them to make up their own light and dark loads - to the poster whose 12 year old does all her own laundry - does she generate 2 loads worth a week, one light and one dark, or does she mix the colours, or run the machine half empty?

17. Do they?
    My mother would have lynched me!

18. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I would be shocked if mine didn't - I have made it quite clear that I do not intend to look after a horse every weekend, as well as through the week!! As they say, horses for courses.....

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Rustybug - do you envisage 'the washing' as a chance to connect to your daughter after absence . . . .a catch-up chin wag in the kitchen when the machine starts whirring type stuff?

20. I went to a uni close to home and my mum always wanted me to take washing home - to be honest even though I lived close I didn't go home that often (only when my new mates went back home) so in some ways it was no different than going to a uni further away. Its actually more of a hassle - lugging it home and trying to get it back not creased after mum had taken the time to iron it, and I wanted to do it myself. Laundry in the first year was a bit of a social event and it was nice to meet different people and have a chat while waiting.