1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

doing just a tiny bit of supply (by choice!)?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Katie777, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I am leaving my part time teaching job at Easter- yay! I will not be taking on another contracted class teacher role- probably ever.
    I have been on the fence about what to do next. In and out of teaching (I left and returned) I have been part time for a number of years and do not intend to work full time in any job. This really limits my options though! Outrageous as supply rates may be they are still pretty decent compared to my other options. However, it is too insecure and unsettled for me to have as a main job (there is a decent amount of work around here though- primary at least). I am considering a low level admin job 2/3 days a week for a bit of consistency mixed with minimal supply and some tutoring (which I already do). This seems better than turning my back on education completely and getting stuck in a boring office job for more days than I'd like!
    Does anyone else does really small amounts of supply by choice? I may want just a couple of days a month, maybe one a week. Does it suit you? Are agencies co-operative with small amounts of work? I would obviously be as flexible as I could be but would only have certain days available. `

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Its perfectly possible to get minimal supply work but agencies make money from 'supplying' teachers so you wont be a good earner for them and you may end up low on their list of teachers to ring with work. Given the current dearth of supply work a few days a month might be all you get anyway...but good luck.