1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing induction after 4 year gap since gaining QTS.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Miss E.yore, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi
    I gained my 2.1 degree in Primary
    Education and my QTS in July 2008.Due to some personal reasons I was not ready to apply for teaching post following graduation.
    I currently work for my local
    council as a customer service agent. I am doing my research on various
    teaching sites but am looking for some further advice in regards to starting my career as a teacher.

I
    know with teaching that you need current experience and to keep up to
    date with the education system and as I have not had any teaching
    experience since my last university placement can I still apply for a
    NQT pool and teaching jobs or do I need to take a refresher course
    first.
    I am going to try to get some work experience with a local school as well.
    Advice greatly appreciated.
    Kylie

2. Hi
    I gained my 2.1 degree in Primary
    Education and my QTS in July 2008.Due to some personal reasons I was not ready to apply for teaching post following graduation.
    I currently work for my local
    council as a customer service agent. I am doing my research on various
    teaching sites but am looking for some further advice in regards to starting my career as a teacher.

I
    know with teaching that you need current experience and to keep up to
    date with the education system and as I have not had any teaching
    experience since my last university placement can I still apply for a
    NQT pool and teaching jobs or do I need to take a refresher course
    first.
    I am going to try to get some work experience with a local school as well.
    Advice greatly appreciated.
    Kylie

3. Hi,
    Very similar situation to yours, I trained in 2007 and have recently applied for teaching pool, you dont need any formal refresher training, just like you say some recent experience.
    I have an interview next week for a teaching pool and am very , very nervous, but ready to take the step!!
    Good luck!
    Nicola

4. I was in this situation. I qualified in 2006 and didn't finish induction until last year. I got in touch with supply agencies, did some voluntary work then after 4 months I found a position. If you've been doing other jobs make sure you talk about the experiences youve gained and how they will influence and benefit you as a teacher. I think a bit of life experience is always good before going straight into teaching! Good luck!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A lot will obviously depend upon your local job market- in most places induction posts are hard to find and you will be in competition now with the influx of recently trained teachers looking for their first post. You need to convince a school that you are up to date with teaching issues and the primary curriculum through your research and preparation.For this you need to get some voluntary experience in the classroom of a friendly school. More and more gain initial work via the supply route so it may be worth contacting agencies now before they are overloaded with the summer graduates.

6. There are currently some return to teaching courses and I think you are on the cusp - 4 years is quite a long time, but more often the return courses are for those who have been out of the profession for much longer. Supply work is a good way to go, but if you have done any supply work and 16 months has passed from the first day you did supply then you are currently 'out of time' due to the limit applied of 16 months - but you can ask the LA for an extension which they can grant for up to one year. There are moves to change the 16 month rule to 5 years from the date of gaining QTS so you may benefit or not from this, depending on when exactly the change comes in.
    Volunteer work, if possible and supply is probably your best bet to gaining recent and relevant experience.
    The Sage

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

So how will this affect those of us who have not completed our NQT by then? Do you have a rough idea? If we did a refresher course would this reset the 5 years? x

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Refresher courses are currently targeted at secondary shortage subjects and the coverage across the country was never good even a few years ago , they have also recently fallen foul of the latest HE cuts. The last DFE pronouncement is that transitional arrangements will be made for teachers who are part way through induction but there is no further information about what this actually means yet.

9. The effects will not be known until the legislation is passed and we receive details about transition from the DfE. It could well be that you would only be allowed to take a post whe induction can be served, under the current rules that would mean a job that lasts at least a term in length carrying out the full duties of a teacher. Currently this may be part time or full time, but until the details are published we just don't know how it will affect different people.

The Sage