1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing examination in theory of music, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Music' started by amyade1, Nov 11, 2018.

1. amyade1

amyade1 New commenter

I am a new teacher working with music department in my school. I have a passion to develop my interest in this subject. At the moment there is a debate going on about doing examination in theory of music or not at KS3 level and the argument is surrounding the fact that music is a practical subject, which is making me feel so much confuse as it goes on. I believe strongly that, it should not be scraped as there is no way this part of music will not affect those who (as little as they may be) will want to proceed with it later in future

Could someone please shed more light on this to help me, as I said before I am getting more confuse as the days go by and the deliberations continued.

Thanks

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I haven’t heard of a school making all KS3 pupils take an official theory exam, if that’s what you mean.
    Theory can be introduced through practical, creative music-making. For example, pupils might be making up a piece of creepy music for Halloween and you may introduce them to the sound and notation of the chromatic scale. You may introduce them to dissonant intervals which could be used in the piece. You may discuss dynamics, tempo, pitch etc.
    Some theory may be appropriate if it links with a creative project, and I believe all pupils should be taught how to read basic music so there is some understanding of what the dots on the page are - just as we teach them to read basic words in a foreign language - but the pupils must feel a sense of purpose in what they are doing.
    Another issue may be what the pupils need to be able to do for GCSE Music and whether you build any steps towards this in KS3.
    Music has several facets to it: practical, theory, history, aural. At KS3 I would agree that the weighting should be on the practical.

muso2 likes this.
  3. amyade1

amyade1 New commenter

Good morning to you all colleagues l teach as a music teacher ks3 in british school but my challenge is that my principal is planning to scrap music theory exam in the school and ask me to conduct exam only on practical please l need your advice then I want to confirm is Abrsm an official theory exam

4. amyade1

amyade1 New commenter

Good morning to you all colleagues, my own opinion is that there Is nothing wrong with conducting theory of music and practical in school this will make huge impact on any students interested to have music at key stage 4. my own believe is the only exam you don't force students to do is Abrsm or Trinity because is an official theory of music exam. Music theory has several way to teach student practical aspect during lesson for example if you are teaching composition there is no how you will not discuss Time signature, Staff Notation, Note Value, History of music etc.

5. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Hello @amyade1.

Is your school in the UK?
    :)