1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing a pgcse to avoid the recession

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Albawolf, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

Hello

I turned 23 last month and currently going through an early quarter life crisis. I feel like my life is nothing is but a failure. I am not where i am supposed to be. I should be in a career , having a partner and a place of my own. I am just a loser who is unemployed, single and living at home with family.

Most of the pressure tends to come from me .

I graduated 11 months ago with a 2.1 degree in law. I dont want to be a solictor . I have been unemployed ever since. The bigger the cv gap the less employers will want you.

I get rejected from minimum wage jobs and everything else. There is nothing for me and i feel like it too late for me to turn things around.

I am worried about covid 19 and the recession. I am losing sleep over this. I fear i will never have a career . No one is hiring due to covid 19 and i will live through the worst recession.

I am attracted to teaching because it so in demand and secure in comparison to other professions.

A lot of my friends are doing a pgcse.

Teaching is a vocation and is an extremely difficult job. Teaching is a respected career.

I am not young anymore and i need to be settled in a career and a relationship.

I have no options in life so i see teaching as the only clear option and safe option.

Is it wise to do a pgcse to keep safe from recession?

What happens to people who went in to teaching during the 2008 recession ?

Sorry for the typos my thoughts are racing .

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Hi

you were given lots of sound advice when you posted similar a few months ago, the pandemic has not put a stop to the training or recruiting of teachers. The advice you were given then still holds true today, maybe re-read those comments.

Stiltskin, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As @43Meadows said, you were given lots of helpful advice in this thread you started in February.

https://community.tes.com/threads/help-me-should-i-do-the-pgse-honestly-needed.799890/#post-13042063

Your conclusion on that thread was:

I would like to thank everyone for their postive responses.

I realise now a PGCSE would be a waste of time and will end up leaving the profession quite early.

I would like job with people my age and discussing ideas .

I dont regret going to university because I love reading and discussing ideas.
    I loved my degree. I love the theory side of law but the pratical side bores me.

I looked at apprenticeships in sixth form and there was none i liked . The apprenticeships advertised at the time where in hairdressing , construction, childcare, accounting , catering .

I love poltics mainly , cyber secruity , ( no IT A levels and never did it at GCSE i know forgert it) .

I dont see my life ever getting better.
    It has finally suck in i have messed it all up and cant fix this .

I suggested on that thread that you get professional help. I have no reason to change my opinion.

4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

This is not at all correct.

You are perfectly normal. If you were 33 I'd say you might have a point and need to start getting sorted, but at 23 you are, whatever you think, only just past boyhood.

I didn't leave home for a place of my own till I was 28, when I got engaged. I had plenty of fun in the meantime and not so much expense. It was great. (Maybe not always for the rest of my family!)

You probably have 3/4, if not 4/5 of your life ahead of you. Many years indeed! At 23 there's plenty of time to do things, see things, experience things, travel, meet people, find out what you really want to do.

Why not look at VSO for a year, or some charity jobs? My sister did VSO and it was amazing.
    https://www.vsointernational.org/volunteering

Who are you comparing yourself with? Some whizz kid who had made it big and lucky on the stock exchange? Or through internet marketing or YouTube? Not many like that!

And well done for your 2.1 in law by the way. I like law. I almost took it instead of languages.

Doing a PGCE might be an idea, and one is something worth having, but doing it simply to avoid a recession isn't maybe the best reason. Do you like kids? Would you be happy working with kids? It's amazingly rewarding but it can be very, very hard work and even sometimes incredibly frustrating.

Whatever you do, good luck. And remember, that we make a lot of our own luck! So get on with it. :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.