1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing a PGCE for Primary Education and changing to Secondary...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by talksr, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hello, I have been working in large London primaries for over 5 years as an ICT network manager. I have been very interested in doing a PGCE in primary teaching for years and find the idea of teaching very rewarding and enjoyable.
    My question is, if I were to do a PGCE in primary teaching, at a later date, would I be qualified to teach in a secondary? Obviously my PGCE in primary would be for all subject areas, but for secondary, I would only be interested in teaching ICT (I got a first in Computer Science).
    Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Hello, I have been working in large London primaries for over 5 years as an ICT network manager. I have been very interested in doing a PGCE in primary teaching for years and find the idea of teaching very rewarding and enjoyable.
    My question is, if I were to do a PGCE in primary teaching, at a later date, would I be qualified to teach in a secondary? Obviously my PGCE in primary would be for all subject areas, but for secondary, I would only be interested in teaching ICT (I got a first in Computer Science).
    Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

3. PGCE courses result in the award of qualified teacher status. Once you are awarded QTS, you are effectively qualified to teach at both primary and secondary levels, regardless of the phase that you trained for.
    If you were to complete a primary PGCE and later wish to work in secondary schools, the decision to employ you would be made by the individual school based on your experience and knowledge of the subject that you wish to teach (potentially ICT).
    I hope this helps and wish you the very best of luck.
    Graham Holley

4. I understand now. Thanks to both of your for your explanations. I would hope with my vast knowledge of IT and ICT, it would certainly give me the upper hand in a secondary interview, but I really should look at getting some secondary experience also, as I think this would help.
    Thanks again.