1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing a MFL PGCE but would like to teach abroad in future; is that compatible??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jemmett91, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Doing a French and Spanish PGCE and would love to teach in France/Spain/Italy in future. I am new to all of this and so was just wondering if international schools in those countries would be interested in me or is MFL not as compatible?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In Spain there are probably lots of Spanish teachers who could teach Spanish. Ditto France. Sorry if this seems to be a tad unhelpful! Yes, being an international teacher is great (I have been doing it since 1998). Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It's true that all the Spanish and French teachers I know here in Madrid are native speakers. I think you'd be lucky to find a job, unless you did something like a CELTA and offered EFL as well...

4. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

In my experience they are unlikely to be interested as they tend to take native speakers only for these posts...rightly or wrongly! I have taught in an international school in Paris for nearly 7 years, and the French department staff are Francophone, the English department staff are Anglophone, the Spanish department staff are Spanish native speakers, the Japanese/Korean teachers are native speakers of these languages...and so on. This seems to be the case in many establishments.

5. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

As I look out of my window I can see 100s of unemployed MFL teachers eating scraps from bins. They herd sadly looking dejected at wasting their time training to be teachers for a dead subject.

Sad to see - a cull must be ordered!

In my experience very easy to pick up native speakers with QTS as well who are obviously preferred. They are paid the least of any other teachers (even Art!) and getting them is easy. Indeed advertising for an MFL teachers mens ordering a forklift truck to handle the applications.

I would add another subject to what you can teach if I were you.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps nemo really means to be helpful and a bit tongue-in-cheek, but really his post is actually a bit unkind and insulting. (I know that at times I have trodden on a few toes, being the silly and smelly old hippo that I am.)

7. Like others have said, choosing a native speaker to teach the language of the country you're going to would be logical at least on the schools part. Don't forget, that they're more than likely to teach the literature, like English teachers do here at secondary level.

If you're serious - then complete your NQT, do a CELTA course (qualification to teach English) and write a convincing / persuasive personal statement and get applying abroad! A lot of the schools will ask for these requirements as a basic requirement.

I don't have a CELTA, but I will be teaching EfL, along with a few other things at a private school in the Canaries from September.

If you want more info, just pm me!

Toby

8. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

Utter tosh what others have said - I too am an MFLer and after spending two years teaching in UK, I spent 4 years teaching French and Spanish in an international school in Spain where my partner teacher was also an English native speaker. English speaking schools in Spain advertise for MFL teachers on TES so they must want them. True, the higher levels of Spanish and the Spanish natives are taught by Spanish speakers but you would definitely be able to teach French in a British curriculum school.

9. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hippo, the fundamental weakness of western education (especially English) is the lack of sarcasm - something that the Independent reported on this weekend regarding sarcasm that develops higher order thinking skills. Teachers (usually the career ones ) hate sarcasm or anything that sounds negative. Life has any problems and taking a knock is important. So many these days break down mentally over silly issues that my generation would just laugh off. It has resulted in "spot the white English graduate" with a good job issu in London. Employers prefer hard working employees not cry babies generated these days by the English education system. If the UK leaves the EU and kicks out all the foreigners just watch the UK economy collapse and watch the 7 million unemployed (I include all those on "invalidity") cry babies try to be plumbers, fruit pickers and actually do a hard days work.

There is a good reason why if you go get a NI number in the UK as a newbie that 19/20 of the staff are Polish and 1 Indian (a friend reported that upon entrance to UK made me laugh). Try employing an English youngster/graduate - whine, whine about rights, lazy useless to an employer. Compare that to Eastern educated students who strive to work hard. Employers do what is necessary and is the main reason why they want UK in Europe.

As for MFL teachers unfortunately there is an oversupply - that is market dynamics and a simple fact of life. Any MFL teacher with any sense will look at having a second subject. Certainly TEFL is added value, then another subject at KS3 if possible. That make them stand out as often a school will need half a MFL teacher (especially French) only.